Chapter Nine

Vic

"This feels very Paris." Kellin says sarcastically as we walk along the side of the freeway.

I hold his hand, keeping him on my left away from the road and the incoming traffic.

"It's the best I could find. We have fuck all bridges in this town." I pout.

"I'm kidding, babe." he giggles. "I love this, I love you."

We make our way to the middle of the bridge where the freeway crosses over a river.

Kellin sighs as he looks out at the flowing river.

"It's kind of beautiful in a non-Parisian kind of way." he smiles.

"It is. It's no Pont des Arts but I like it." I agree, referencing the famous Parisian "Love Lock" bridge where hundreds of thousands of couples clipped padlocks to symbolize their love and commitment for each other.

"It's ours." he smiles, linking his fingers with mine.

I look to him and smile, unable to help myself. 

"Guess we should put the lock on." I chirp.

Kellin nods, pulling the lock and key out of the picnic basket he's holding, a huge, excited grin on his cheeks.

"Oh it's so cute." he sighs, looking over the engraving we had done on the surface of the gold lock.

'Kellin +
Vic Fuentes
Forever
And ever,
Always♡'

He places the basket down and I watch him open the lock with the key, then he slides it around a thin piece of railing.

"Close it with me." he beams.

I place my hands over his, ready to push the lock into place. I turn to my husband who's smiling at me, then I capture his lips as we push the lock closed.

He claps and squeals quietly, pulling away from me.

"Throw the key." I remind him as I wrap my arm around his waist.

He tosses the key over the railing and it plummets into the water below.

In all his excitement, he throws himself into my arms, wrapping his legs around my waist.

I struggle to grip him due to the sudden surprise but thankfully my adrenaline kicks in and I grasp him before he falls.

"Oh my god, be careful! You could have fallen over the railing. Then I would be a widower." I breathe still a little panicked but overcome with relief.

"I'm sorry, I'm just so happy." he chuckles, as he slides out of my arms and safely lands on the concrete.

He turns back to the lock and examines it fondly.

"Promise me that we will come back here all the time." he grins.

"Whenever you want." I tell him, kissing his cheek gently.

He sighs and looks out at the horizon, seeming content.

"We should probably go hire the canoe before sunset." he suddenly chirps, snapping out of his trance.

I agree and he grabs the picnic basket before we make our way down to the riverbank where a small canoe business is set up.

We hire the canoe and the elderly man owning the business gives us the rundown on the rules.