Chapter Thirty-Five (Final)

There's going to be an epilogue!

--

Vic

There's an unwelcome nostalgia sitting on my chest as Kellin drives down familiar streets. All those months ago when I drove down these same roads, I had no idea the chaos that would follow, the mess I would create. If I could go back, I would have done things so differently. Now I hold onto so much regret, and I feel like I'm going to fall if I let it go.

"It's just up here on the right, the one with the white fence." I say softly to Kellin.

He silently pulls up in front of the house and shuts off the car. We sit in silence and both stare at the house. The garden is becoming overgrown, which for a moment makes me worry that Kylie no longer lives here, but then I notice the black jeep in the driveway. I remember all the times I got in that car, when we would go on dates, when Carter insisted on driving me to work, when we were wedding planning. It all sickens me now.

"You doing okay?" Kellin asks softly as he takes my hand.

I turn to him and meet his pained expression with one of my own. I don't have an answer for him.

"Are you?" I ask him softly.

His gaze falls. He doesn't respond either.

"You don't have to do this if you don't want to." I lull.

"I think I need to." he breathes, confliction in his eyes.

"Well, I've got you." I murmur, taking his hand and giving it a squeeze.

"I've got you too." He smiles, then he kisses me.

Our hands part as we exit the car, but are quick to reconnect as we walk side by side to the front door. My grip around Kellin's fingers gets tighter as I knock softly. The sound seems to startle Kellin who instinctively moves behind me. But not a moment later, he moves back to my side.

There's a tense couple of seconds as I listen to the footsteps approaching the door and the tension reaches its peak as the door swings open. Kylie doesn't seem surprised or confused to see us, honestly she just seems tired. She's in sweatpants and an oversized hoodie, her hair is in a messy bun and she lacks the general glow she held last time I saw her.

I don't know what to say and it seems neither does she as we stand in silence looking at each other. A minute goes by before she sighs and breaks the silence.

"Come in." she says softly, pushing the door out of the way.

We follow her into the house, closing the door behind us. She leads us into the same living room I sat in a few months ago. The room alone evokes a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. Kellin stays close to my side, unbelievably tense. I feel bad for forcing him into this situation but I'm grateful he's here by my side.

We sit on the sofa and I take note of the boxes around the semi-empty room. She must be moving out. Thankfully I didn't put off coming here any longer. Kylie sits in the same chair Carter once sat in and stares blankly at Kellin and I.

"Uh, this is Kellin, my husband," I begin raspily. "Kells, this is Kylie."

Kellin forces an uncomfortable smile but Kylie barely acknowledges the introduction.

"How did you both know Carter?" she asks sharply. Kellin noticeably winces at the mention of the name.

I take a deep breath and hold Kellin's hand in my lap, rubbing his knuckles softly with my thumb.

"Carter and I were dating a bit over a year ago. We were nearly married at one point." I admit.

She seems confused but nods. "I didn't know he was into men. He never mentioned it."