Chapter 3 - Trumpkin

Y/N's POV

I was walking with Lucy, a little behind the others, talking about what had happened in the last year.
"So, as you might have guessed, Peter keeps getting into fights. And Edmund's always helping him." Lucy said, "What about you? I didn't think you would be the sort that got into fights."
"Well, I don't. I just...get bullied a lot. But it doesn't matter. I'm fine."
"No, you're not! You need to-"

Lucy didn't get to finish, because Susan suddenly brought out her bow and nocked an arrow. It sped through the air and shot right through the wood of a boat. On the boat were two people carrying a dwarf. They appeared to be throwing him into the water.

"Drop him!" Susan commanded, as the boys and I drew our swords.
The dwarf mumbled something, before the men threw him into the water. Peter ran to the dwarf's aid, while Edmund and I decided to get the boat out of the water, as the men had jumped in. Peter dragged the dwarf onto the sand, and we all crowded around him. Lucy used her dagger to cut his hands free of the ropes that bound them. The dwarf coughed sand out for a while, before finally standing up by himself.
"Drop him?!" he shouted.
We looked at him, confused.
"That's the best you can come up with?"
"A simple 'thank you' would suffice." Susan said.
"They were doing fine drowning me without your help."
"Maybe we should have let them." Peter said.

"Why were they trying to kill you, anyway?" Lucy asked.
"They're Telmarines. That's what they do." the dwarf said, shaking the cut ropes off.
I looked at Edmund; there was evident worry in both of our faces.
"Telmarines? In Narnia?" I said, looking back at the dwarf.
"Where have you been for the last few hundred years?" was his response.
"It's a bit of a long story." Lucy laughed out.
Susan handed Peter's sword back to him; he had given it to her when he rescued the dwarf from the water. The dwarf observed us carefully.
"Oh, you've got to be kidding me." he said, "You're it? You're the Kings and Queens of Old?"
I looked at the others. 'Of Old'. What a title.
"High King Peter." Peter held out his arm, "The Magnificent."
"You probably could have left off the last bit." Susan joked.
I turned away, in attempt to hide my giggles.
"Probably." the dwarf chuckled.

"You might be surprised." Peter changed the subject, drawing out his sword.
"Oh, you don't want to do that, boy." the dwarf warned.
"Not me." said Peter, "Him."
I looked at Edmund, smirking. I wasn't worried. Not at all. I had complete faith in Edmund. I mean, he wasn't called 'the best swordsman in all of Narnia' for nothing. Edmund drew out his sword, while Peter handed his own to the dwarf, who took it, once he realised that we weren't joking.

Once it left Peter's hand, the dwarf weighed down dramatically, because of the weight of the sword. Edmund looked at me. I could tell from his expression that he knew he could beat the dwarf in no time. But the dwarf suddenly perked up and swung his sword at Edmund. He repeated this a few times, to which Edmund dodged. Except for the last time, when his blow struck Ed in the eye.
"Edmund!" Lucy shouted.
"Ooh, you alright?" the dwarf teased.
He swung his sword down again, but Edmund ran out of the way and behind him, hitting him on the bottom. While they were still dueling, I noticed that Edmund was smiling the whole time. It reminded me so much of our first time in Narnia. I was knocked out of my thoughts, when Edmund knocked the sword out of the dwarf's hand.

The dwarf sunk to the ground, "Beards and Bedsteads! Maybe that horn worked after all."
Susan looked up, "What horn?"