Chapter 10 - Raid on the Telmarine Castle

It was a solemn moment. Those who were staying back wished their family and friends who were going to fight in the raid. Sobs filled the air, as the prepared army began gathering in groups to walk ahead. Raids were affairs just as ugly as wars. Y/N hugged Lucy - who would be staying back - and placed a kiss on her head. Just then, Peter walked out of the How and stood still, watching the bitter farewells that were going on. When he turned around, he found Lucy glaring daggers at him, and Y/N couldn't bare to be in the middle of that. She walked to Edmund, lacing her fingers in his, and watching the groups advance.

**********

On. Off. On. Off. On. Off.

That was the signal. Edmund continued flashing his torch, as the griffins carried Peter, Susan, Y/N, Trumpkin and Caspian towards the Telmarine castle. When they got closer, Peter nodded to Caspian, who led the way as the five of them drew their weapons. A guard had spotted them, but Caspian leaned low and slashed at his neck, blowing him off the building. As they came to a bridge, they noticed another guard aiming his crossbow at Edmund, but Susan nocked an arrow and shot him in the head, knocking him down before he could shoot. They were dropped on the bridge and Peter soon took care of yet another patrolling guard.

"His room is in that tower," said Caspian.
He was referring to his professor.
"It's probably the easiest way in."
Peter, Susan, Y/N and Trumpkin could do nothing but trust Caspian, for he was the only one among them who knew his way about the castle. They walked hastily to the turret of the tower Caspian had pointed to. Y/N pulled out the long rope they had carried, and tied it to the crenellation of the turret. Caspian went down the rope first, and climbed onto the sill of the first window from the top. Peter went next, followed by Y/N. Peter had to lift Y/N onto the windowsill, since the rope wasn't long enough, and she was too short to reach it by herself.
Caspian knocked on the window, saying, "Professor?"

When there was no response, he nicked the lock with a knife and opened the window. He walked into the room - a library - but it was trashed! Books lay open and torn on the tables and the floor. Susan and Trumpkin had just come in, when Caspian picked up a pair of 'pince-nez' glasses.
"I have to find him," said Caspian.
"You don't have time," said Peter, "You need to get the gate open."
"You wouldn't even be here without him," said Caspian, his accent growing thicker by the second, "And neither would I."
Y/N nodded, then looked at Peter and Susan and said, "We can deal with Miraz."
"And I can still get to the gate in time," said Caspian, before running out the door.
Trumpkin nodded briefly at Peter, Susan and Y/N, before walking out. He was meant to go and assist Reepicheep and his troop.

"Come on, we've got to hurry," said Peter, snapping out of the moment, "His room is not going to be on this side of the castle."
It was never common to have the royals and the nobles staying in the same wing of the castle, let alone royals and teachers.
The three of them ran through the lightly guarded corridors of the castle. They went from door to door, but they always either entered an empty room or a room filled with the sound of snores coming from the sleeping nobles. Only occasionally did they have to hide from guards, for they were only patrolling in the darker corners of the castle.

Y/N sighed, as they reached yet another wing. She shared a look with Peter and Susan, before walking forward. In a few turns, they came to a door, and they drew their weapons, just as they had been doing for all the other doors. Peter looked at the girls, before opening the door. They walked in with their weapons drawn out, but relaxed a bit, once they realised that there was nobody in the room, except a baby, stretching and yawning in its crib.
"Where did that come from?" said Peter, clearly having had expected something else.
"Mum never had that talk with you?" Susan joked, making Peter go red, while Y/N just giggled.
Peter shook his head and ran out of the room, Susan and Y/N following in laughter.