Chapter 11 - The Return of the White Witch

Edmund lifted Y/N off the griffin and put her arm around his shoulder, giving her more support. They were back at the How, and looking very weak - both in strength and number. The Narnians at the How looked at them in worry, Lucy right at the front. Peter and Caspian were walking in front - both blamed the other for the present situation, yet they wore expressions of guilt.
"What happened?" asked Lucy, cutting through the tension of the moment like a knife.
"Ask him," said Peter through clenched teeth.
"Peter," said Susan sternly - she was too tired to shout.
"Me?" said Caspian, "You could have called it off. There was still time."
"No, there wasn't, thanks to you," said Peter, "If you'd kept to the plan, those soldiers might be alive right now."
"And if you'd just stayed here, like I suggested, they definitely would be!" said Caspian in a louder voice.

"You called us, remember?" said Peter, sticking with low volume.
"My first mistake," said Caspian.
"No," said Peter, "Your first mistake was thinking you could lead these people."
"Hey!" shouted Caspian - so loud, that Y/N thought her eardrums would burst, "I am not the one who abandoned Narnia."
Peter, Susan, Edmund, Y/N and Lucy took that statement like a punch in the gut. Caspian began walking towards the How.
"You invaded Narnia," seethed Peter, "You have no more right to lead it than Miraz does! You, him, your father! Narnia's better off without the lot of you!"
Caspian turned around, sword drawn, and Peter drew his sword, ready to duel.
"Stop it!" shouted Y/N with all her strength.

Glenstorm walked forward, holding an unconscious Trumpkin in his arms. Peter and Caspian put down their swords, and Lucy ran forward, taking out her cordial. She knelt beside Trumpkin and unstoppered the vial. A single drop fell from it, into Trumpkin's mouth. After a few seconds, he coughed and let out a breath.
"What are you all standing around for?" he asked, once his eyes were open, "Telmarines will be here soon enough."
Lucy stood back up, and was about to walk away, when Trumpkin said, "Thank you... my dear little friend."
Lucy smiled at him, before walking back to the How with Peter and Susan. With all the heat of the moment, Y/N had completely forgotten that she was injured too. Edmund helped her walk back to the How, leaving the rest of the army to grieve.

"Lucy!" Edmund called out, once they were inside.
Lucy turned around smiling, but her happiness changed to fear as she saw Y/N's bloody wound. The piece of cloth Susan had given Y/N was now completely soaked, and couldn't take anymore blood. Lucy ran to them, unstoppering her vial once again. Y/N tilted her head back and Lucy poured a drop into her mouth. In an instant, Y/N was much more energetic and refreshed.
"Thanks, Lu," she said.
Lucy just smiled and hugged Y/N and Edmund, "I'm glad you're okay."

Suddenly, the whole How became cold. Y/N and Edmund looked at each other subconsciously. It wasn't a normal gust of wind or a sudden chill. It was a frost that had given them nightmares for years. A frost that hurt just to think about. And as a sharp, nasty voice sliced through the cold air, it only confirmed their fears.
"One drop of Adam's blood, and you free me. Then I am yours, my king."

"No. She can't be back," said Edmund, fear growing on his face with each passing second.
Suddenly, Peter ran into the room, his face twisted in fright as well. Without hesitation, Peter, Edmund and Y/N ran towards the section of the How where lay the Stone Table.
"Stay there, Lucy!" shouted Y/N.
"But-"
"Stay there!"

Peter, Edmund and Y/N ran past the paintings on the walls, and they found Trumpkin, who seemed to be running to their destination too. They took the final turn, and there she stood in a wall of ice. The White Witch. She was extending out her arm to an entranced Caspian.
"Stop!" yelled Peter, drawing his sword.
Edmund and Y/N drew their swords as well, trying to hide their fear. A werewolf jumped onto the Stone Table, and then over Edmund, his paws scraping the ground once he landed. He growled at Edmund, while Trumpkin advanced on Nikabrik. Meanwhile, Y/N was tackling an old hag. Peter was helping Edmund against the skillful and agile werewolf. Nikabrik had pushed Trumpkin to the ground, and had his sword raised, when - out of nowhere - Lucy came from behind Nikabrik and held her dagger against his throat. He soon got out of that situation and twisted Lucy's arm behind her back.
"Lucy!" shouted Y/N, who was no longer struggling against the hag - she had tossed the hag over a pillar.
Nikabrik pushed Lucy to the ground and had her dagger in his hand. Y/N ran over, but Trumpkin beat her there, stabbing Nikabrik from behind.
"Get away from him!" shouted Peter suddenly.
"Ah!" grunted Edmund, who was now fighting the werewolf by himself.
Y/N ran to him, helping him take on the werewolf.
"Peter, dear," the White Witch said - it was so hard not to get distracted by that voice, when it was associated with such painful memories.

Y/N and Edmund had managed to pin the werewolf to the ground. The White Witch continued speaking, but Y/N blocked out her words. Edmund, on the other hand, kept his ears open and heard everything. He slowly backed away, leaving Y/N to deal with the werewolf. After a short struggle, Y/N stabbed the werewolf, and he lay motionless on the ground. Y/N turned around to see where Edmund was, but she couldn't spot him anywhere. Susan had just come in, and she helped Y/N up off the ground. They stared together at Peter, who was now standing directly in front of the White Witch in a trance, just like Caspian was before. Suddenly, a sword pierced through the wall of ice - right in the middle of the witch's abdomen - and the ice began to crack. Everybody looked stared in confusion, as the wall began to fall apart.

It finally shattered to pieces, to reveal Edmund behind it, sword raised, and panting heavily. He lowered it and looked at Peter.
"I know," he said, "You had it sorted."
Edmund walked around the room to Y/N with a frown on his face. Peter gulped as he stared at the large engravement of Aslan. He and Caspian turned around to see a disappointed Susan leaving the room.

**********

Peter sat stoic- faced at the base of the Stone Table, staring at the carving of Aslan. His eyes were brimmed with tears. Y/N watched him for a long moment from the entrance of the room, before slowly walking in and sitting down next to him.
"I failed him," said Peter, barely even whispering.
The warm tears finally streamed down his face and fell into his lap.
"No, Pete," said Y/N gently, "You just lost touch with yourself. It happened to me too."
Peter looked at her, his eyebrows knitted, meaning for her to explain.
"Do you know how much of a coward I was today? Whe-" she choked on her own tears, "When she came back, I didn't want to handle her. In fact, I wanted to run as far away as possible. I never used to be like that. I was never afraid to look danger straight in the face. This one year has just ruined me. I feel so useless."
"Hey," said Peter, causing Y/N to look at him, "It's okay to be afraid sometimes. If we were always brave, what essence would there be to any of us?"

Y/N smiled softly. She remembered how she would always go to Peter or Susan when she was feeling down or needed advice. Quiet footsteps came closer, and Lucy sat on the other side of Peter. Peter looked back at the engravement of Aslan.
"I wish he'd just given me some sort of proof," he said.
"Maybe we're the ones who need to prove ourselves to him," said Lucy wisely.
Suddenly, Edmund walked into the room.
He looked at all of them and said, "You'd better come quickly."