Chapter 6 - I'm Already Home

The five children and Trumpkin walked down a grassy ledge leading to the bottom of the precipice. When they reached the River Rush, they crossed on the pebbles and flat rocks that were wide enough to hold their feet. Lucy's foot slipped and missed a rock, but Trumpkin immediately put his arms around her shoulders, supporting her balance. She smiled appreciatively, before continuing ahead. Their walk lasted till the night, when they had reached the Shuddering Woods and decided to take a good night's rest. They selected a small grassy spot and the girls cleared the area of any small stones that would give them an uncomfortable sleep. The boys, meanwhile, collected some barks of wood with which Trumpkin built a fire.

"Lucy, are you awake?" Y/N heard Susan say, once they were all lying down on the ground.
She didn't want to eavesdrop on their conversation, so she just tuned out, staring at the blazing fire and listening to Peter's soft snores. She then turned her attention above, to the sky.
"To the Glorious Stars of the Narnian Night Sky , Queen Y/N the Benevolent."
Y/N smiled at the memory of her coronation. She remembered that day so well.

When she felt a gentle tap on her shoulder from behind, she turned around to find herself face-to-face with Edmund.
"Hi," he said.
"Hi," she laughed out quietly.
Next came a silence.
"I still can't believe it," Y/N said, after a few minutes.
"Can't believe what?" Edmund asked.
"All of this. That we've come to Narnia again. I mean, I've had so many dreams this last year about coming back, and every time I woke up from them, they felt more like nightmares. Like they were torturing me by reminding me."
"And what makes this time different? What makes this seem real?" asked Edmund.
"Well, first of all, I tried the pinching method and that was real," Y/N said, earning a low chuckle from Edmund, "Also because... Well, I don't know... It just feels different. It feels real. It feels...right."
Edmund just smiled at her.
"What?" Y/N asked.
"Nothing. Just...cherishing the moment. We've not had a minute alone since we returned," he replied.
"So we haven't," Y/N said, realising he was right.

And so the next two minutes were spent in silence. Y/N opened her mouth, but shut it quickly, deciding the better of it.
Edmund noticed this and said, "What's up?"
Y/N hesitated for a second, but then said, "Will anything ever feel like home again?"
"What do you mean?" Edmund asked.
"Well, look at what the Telmarines have done to Narnia. How many Narnians do you think are actually left? What if they don't believe in Aslan?" Y/N said, ready to break down in tears.
"Hey. Hey," Edmund cooed, rubbing her shoulder gently, "I don't know about any of that. But I do know that no matter where we are, as long as I'm with you, I'm already home."
He pulled her in for a soft hug and she smiled into his shoulder.
"Oh, I wish everything could go back to the way it was. You know... Before we left," she said, once they pulled away.
"Me too," said Edmund, "But everything happens for a reason."
Y/N nodded in agreement, but she still longed for things to be the way they were before the five of them left Narnia. They were a family. In Y/N's mind, nothing was more perfect than the time of their reign in Narnia. But she couldn't do anything to bring it back. She wished that she had cherished every moment of it. She would have, had she known that it was going to come to an end. But she also knew that Edmund was right - everything does happen for a reason.

Edmund suddenly placed a kiss on Y/N's forehead, and she smiled instantly. Edmund would always do that when she had her forehead wrinkled or when she was worrying about something.
"Oh, how I missed you," he said.
Y/N let out a soft breath that sounded a little like a laugh, subconsciously inching closer. Edmund caressed her cheek gently, leaning in too. Y/N stared into his chocolate-brown eyes and she could feel her heart melting. She was having the same feeling she had when she and Edmund had their first kiss. The same feeling she had every single time she and Edmund shared a kiss.

She glanced down, ever so subtly, at his light pink, slightly chapped lips. Edmund took that as his cue. He closed his eyes and placed his lips on hers. The kiss was loving, gentle and passionate all at the same time and behind it was a storm of emotions that neither of them were willing to let go of just yet. They savoured every moment of it, until it was time to take a breather. Once they pulled away, Edmund put his arms around Y/N and she snuggled into his chest, inhaling his scent. And both of them fell asleep that way, with smiles on their faces.