Chapter 14 - The Battle

"Get ready!" shouted Peter to the Narnian Army.
"Peter!" shouted Caspian suddenly, as a soldier ran towards them.
Peter took him on alone - and successfully - before shouting, "Go!" 

He, Edmund and Y/N ran forward and took their positions, as the Telmarine catapults began tossing boulders, already killing some of the Narnian soldiers.
The Telmarine cavalry moved forward, as Susan shouted, "Archers to the ready!"
Caspian and Glenstorm retreated into the How, where the rest of the army was.  As the Telmarine army charged towards the Narnians, the latter stay put exactly where they were. 
It wasn't until some mud came spewing from the ground that Peter counted slowly, "One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six."
"Take your aim!" Susan called out to the archers.
"Seven. Eight. Nine. Get ready!"
And then, the ground right before them broke - the plan had worked. The Telmarine cavalry ran right into the newly-formed deep pit before they could stop themselves.
"Now!" Susan shouted, and 200 arrows shot through the sky at the same time.

The arrows came down with such force that many Telmarine soldiers were struck dead. In all the chaos, Edmund and Y/N jumped on a horse each.
"Charge!" yelled Peter.
Finally, the Narnian army began to move. Caspian and Glenstorm led the rest of the army - the ones who were previously in the How - out of underground passages, surrounding the Telmarine army from behind. And in perfect formation - according to the Narnians, at least - the battle began.

Y/N alternated between her sword and crossbow with ease. She had done this many times before. She slashed at soldiers, knocking them to the ground in mere seconds. But some sort of anxiety was roaming in the back of her mind. She couldn't tell what it was, so she brushed it off and continued fighting. It wasn't until Edmund jumped in front of her to shield her from a soldier she hadn't noticed, that she realised what it was. The memory struck her like lightning and she almost stopped what she was doing. The First Battle of Beruna - her first ever battle. It didn't help that they were presently in Beruna. But why did it bother her? The White Witch was dead. Gone forever. But then again, if things had gone wrong, Nikabrik could have succeeded in resurrecting her. What Y/N didn't understand was why she was so afraid of the White Witch,

"I can deal with this later!" Y/N sternly told herself, before whacking a soldier in the head with her crossbow.
"Back to the How!" Peter suddenly shouted, and Y/N was glad to oblige - the rising dust in the air was starting to bother her respiration.
But before the Narnian army could reach the How, the entrance was completely demolished by the boulders coming from the opposite side of the field.
"Brace yourselves!" Susan shouted to the archers, but she slipped off the ledge.
Trumpkin caught hold of her hand, but not for long, as she lost grip. Luckily, there was another ledge below, and Susan was able to land safely. She jumped off and joined the others. The five of them - Y/N, Edmund, Peter, Susan and Caspian - stood in a line, and exchanged determined expressions, before charging forward. They fought ruthlessly - each with more passion than they had before, for some reason. But after a while of fighting, as their strength wore off a little, so did their confidence. 

But then, something miraculous happened - the trees were back to life! They advanced out of the forest with full vigour and power, each of their roots crushing up to five Telmarine soldiers at a time. Whatever confidence Peter and the others had lost, they soon regained.
"For Aslan!" Peter chanted, leading the army.
The Telmarines seemed to be running away from them, but stopped right in front of the Berunan River. And when Y/N looked across the river, the widest grin spread across her face - it was Lucy! Lord Sopespian turned around to the Narnian army. But when he looked back to face Lucy, she was there with Aslan. Peter, Susan, Edmund, Y/N and Caspian just smiled.

The Telmarines continued across the river, but before they were even halfway across, Aslan let out a mighty roar, bringing them to a halt again. The roar reverberated for a second, before confused shouts filled the air. The water was swiftly moving and collecting at one end of the river to form a River God. He coursed through the water, towards the bridge, and stared down at the Telmarines, who jumped off purely in fear. He then lifted up the bridge and the remaining few soldiers fell off - except Lord Sopespian. The River God looked straight at him for a moment, before tilting the bridge. Lord Sopespian fell off and the River God decomposed with a great splash.

The remaining Telmarines - the ones who had stayed on land - accepted defeat and ran away. Peter, Susan, Edmund, Y/N and Caspian trudged through the water and bowed down on their knees before Aslan.
"Rise, kings and queens of Narnia," Aslan's deep voice spoke.
"All of you," He continued, when Caspian stayed down.
"I do not think I am ready," said Caspian.
"It's for that very reason, I know you are," said Aslan.
His voice was wise and solemn, just like Y/N remembered it. Caspian rose to his feet, earning smiles from the Pevensies and Y/N. Suddenly, a bunch of Narnian mice walked up to Alsan, carrying Reepicheep on a stretcher. Lucy ran up to them and got her vial out quickly. After dripping a drop of the scarlet juice into Reepicheep's mouth, he inhaled deeply.
"Oh. Thank you, Your Majesty," he said, looking at Lucy with a grateful smile, "Thank you."

Then, he noticed Aslan and cried out, "Hail, Aslan! It is a great honour to be in-"
Reepicheep cut himself off, as he realised that his tail was missing!
"I'm completely out of countenance. I must crave your indulgence for appearing in this unseemly fashion," he said, covering his behind with his hands.
"Perhaps a drop more?" he asked Lucy.
"I don't think it does that," Lucy replied apologetically.
"You could have a go," Reepicheep suggested.

Aslan chuckled, "It becomes you well, small one."
"All the same, Great King," said Reepicheep, "I regret that I must withdraw, for a tail is the honour and glory of a mouse."
"Perhaps you think too much of your honour, friend."
"Well, it's- it's not just the honour. It's also great for balance. And climbing. An- And grabbing things."
"May it please Your High Majesty," another mouse spoke up, "we will not bear the shame of wearing an honour denied to our chief."
"Not for the sake of your dignity," said Aslan, "but for the love of your people."
And Reepicheep exclaimed in joy, for he had grown a new tail.
"Thank you. Thank you, my liege. I will treasure it always. From this day forward, it will serve as a great reminder of my huge humility."

"Now, where is this Dear Little Friend you've told me so much about?" Aslan asked.
The Pevensies, Y/N and Caspian turned to look at Trumpkin, who was standing close by. When he noticed them, he walked swowlyy towards Aslan, with his head facing the ground. He kneeled down, hitching his sword into the sand. Aslan roared at him, and poor Trumpkin shuddered at the sudden action.
"Do you see him now?" Lucy said, as the others laughed.