Ten

Ten

Since there was no use in sleeping, I had popped out of bed around six thirty to get ready to work in the café. Jenny tends to not let me work weekends, but I was going to force myself on her today. I didn't want to do anything else, and if I insisted I was sure she would let me.

And I was right. When Jenny arrived at six forty-five, I was sitting behind the counter waiting for her, and I had already turned the machines on to warm up and put a fresh batch of scones in the oven.

"Please please please!" Was the first thing I said to Jenny after she surveyed the café with a confused face. I knew she would understand what I meant, though.

She rolled her eyes and smiled, "I can't say no to you! What kind of scones are you making?"

"Oh, they're just plain scones with a little bit of chocolate shavings in the batter. I was going to put a Hershey kiss on the top of them once they come out of the oven, though." I had plenty of bags in my fridge now, so I could do this. I learned from this week's mistake and bought several bags of kisses after work one day so I wouldn't miss any Mondays in the near future.

Seeing as the shop was prepped for opening, Jenny unlocked the front doors before seven. Business was typically slow early on the weekends, but it picked up a little bit by nine or ten. Angel's Café was not a chain, so you could say it wasn't as popular as places like Starbucks. But since we lived in a small town that was a ways outside of the city of Sacramento, there wasn't many places for people to go to get their morning fixes. Angel's was a popular place in this neighborhood, and it was strategically located on the outskirts of one of the nicest areas and right before the small downtown.

Around nine thirty, a steady flow of people began to flood in. It was not overwhelming by any means. In fact, I had always been a fan of the shop's energy on Saturdays. It tended to be parents with their kids or old couples, making the overall feeling just warm. Jenny and I always seem to be in good moods these days, well, the days she lets me work anyways.

"Daddy can I have the one with the kiss on it?" A little girl, who couldn't be older than five, asked her dad sweetly.

"Yes you may, honey," He told her with a smile before looking to me. "We'll take two of those scones with the kisses, a hot chocolate, and a coffee, please," He ordered, and I couldn't help but feel my heart warm at the scene.

"Coming right up," I told him with a smile as I got his food together and rang him up.

And so the morning went. The events of last night were nowhere in the front of my mind, but were almost forgotten as I endeavored on this brand new day.

"It baffles me how you have enough energy to smile after you didn't sleep at all," Jenny commented off handedly.

"How do you know I-"

"Honey, I've known you for years. I can tell," She winked, and I just shook my head and began to help another customer.

When I turned around to grab a cup, I noticed Ashton in the kitchen, apparently just having come down form my apartment. He looked tired and a little confused.

"Good morning, Ashton!" I called to him with a smile. He seemed to be startled, but also relieved as he made his way slowly to the front of the store. Meanwhile, I finished up taking care of the man that was waiting for his drink.

When he came around front, he sat at one of the stools we had next to the counter.

"How do you feel?" I asked him cautiously.

He shrugged, "Not that bad, actually. I'm just tired, and a little...lost."

I let a small laugh loose, but surprisingly Ashton didn't glare at me. "Would that espresso you love so much help you out?"