Seven

My hands were folded in my lap and I couldn't help but anxiously fiddle with my fingers. It was suddenly occurring to me the situation I was in -- sitting across the table from Ashton Cromwell. A guy who I'm fairly certain hates my insides, and is probably capable of breaking a door of its hinges. That's how muscular and frightening he appears.

What have I gotten myself in to?

Ashton was sitting there across from me, a bored exression blatant on his face. We seemed to both be growing aware of how strange this was as we waited for our food to be ready. I could feel the awkwardness radiating from him, and the thought of him feeling uncomfortable somehow put me at ease.

Finally, before the silence could continue to suffocate us, the worker from the register brought our tray to our table. Since we were one of the only few people dining, she must have wanted something to do.

Unlike me, Ashton didn't waste any time tearing the wrapping off his Big Mac and shoving it in to his mouth. He reminded me of an animal, and it was a little freaky.

Instantly he seemed to sense my gaze and his dark eyes flicked to me. "What?"

I blinked before shaking my head. "Oh, uh, nothing."

"Oh god, don't tell me you're one of those girls that doesn't eat in front of guys."

"Wait what?" I asked, dumbly.

He gestured to my McFlurry, which was sitting untouched on the tray since I had been preoccupied by Ashton's ravenous behaviors.

"So typical," He grumbled through a mouthful of food.

I let out a breath and reached for my Reese's McFlurry and took a savory spoonful. The peanut butter crumbled coolly in my mouth, and as it did I became aware of Ashton's scrutinization.

"What?" I asked for what felt like the tenth time.

"You look like you've never eaten McDonald's before."

"I don't live under a rock," I told him with a small smile.

Back when my whole family was still together, we had McDonald's almost every single day. And on the other days, it was Taco Bell. My parents didn't really have much money, so McDonald's burgers was one of the few things they could actually consistently provide us with.

He raised his eyebrows, "Getting sarcastic, are we?"

I laughed lightly. "No, I'm just joking."

"Explain when you have ever had a Reese's McFlurry before," he scoffed, apparently in disblief, though I'm not sure why.

"They were my brother's favorite. He used to buy them for me and our sister on special occassions," I told him in a slight moment of spontaneous bravery.

"You have a brother?" I nodded. "And a sister?" Again, I nodded. "How old are they?"

I furrowed my eyebrows. "I don't really know."

"How do you not know?" He asked, judgment back in his voice.

I shrugged out of discomfort. "They left when I was young."

Ashton didn't ask about my brother and sister any more, but surprised me by his comment. "I have two sisters." I nodded, pleased that he had something a little bit meaningful to say. "I know how old both of them are. One is seven, the other is twenty-four."

"Probably keeps you busy."

"Not really, one moved out after high school and the other is an annoying little twerp."