Nineteen

yay an update!! I have some questions for you lovely people to answer in the comments. I put them at the end and it would mean the WORLD to me if you could answer them. I want to improve this book for the audience and these Qs will help me get my desired story message across to you better :)

*****

Nineteen

"Sparky," Ashton's sudden calling made me instantly stop my foot and pen tapping. When I jumped and my eyes met his, his face was nothing short of amused, and he cracked a grin. "You'll be fine."

I nodded. Today was Wednesday, meaning the math test. I'm not sure why I was so fidgety over it. After all, I've taken several this school year, and with all the poor marks I have received I really don't have much to lose. I suppose part of me is anxious because I am curious as to whether or not I can even retain information any more. Ashton has spent so many of his nights helping me, and if I fail yet another test, I would feel guilty for wasting his time.

Mr. Rodgers was reading the announcements – something I always found odd for a third period class, but that's how Cristo High does things. He mentioned something about student body elections and what was being served in the cafeteria for lunch. I wasn't listening much, though. Instead, I was trying to remember that pi over six radians was the same as thirty degrees, and the sine of thirty degrees was equal to one half.

I got this.

Mr. Rodgers walked down the aisle and set a test on Ashton's desk, then on mine. Casting one last glance at the brown haired boy to my left, his face broke in to a reassuring grin. A rarity upon his typically expressionless face, the smile that formed on my own was all thanks to his warm one. With a new aura of relaxation, I picked up my pencil, wrote my name at the top of my test, and began.

*****

The rest of my Wednesday passed as it usually did. I worked a short shift at Jay's Market before taking off to Angel's, and once I got there Jenny gave me suspicious looks and had me bake up some scones.

Nothing out of the ordinary happened. Before I knew it, I was waking up Thursday morning, an hour prior to when the sun was supposed to rise. Taking a brief moment in bed to yawn and blink myself to life, I stretched out of bed to prepare for the day.

"Morning, sunshine," Jenny surprised me by greeting when I made it down the back stairwell and opened the door in to the kitchen.

"Jenny," I jumped. It was six thirty, so the café was about to open. Usually, Jenny comes in between six thirty or seven to get things rolling, and she just opens shop whenever she is ready. Since it is just a business that has been in her family for a long time, she's pretty lackadaisical about its operating hours – that's how her grandma and mom were when they both ran it, and Jenny picked up on the carefree reign.

It is actually quite entertaining how laid back the entire family is about Angel's. If they open two hours late, they shrug it off. They will just keep it open three hours longer another day. It is a fun group to work with.

"Headed out so early?"

I shrugged and rubbed my arm so my sweatshirt would warm me up a little more. "Yeah, I was looking forward to some fresh air."

She nodded in understanding before holding up a finger for me to wait then disappearing in to the darkness of the front of the store. When she reappeared a few moments later, she had two things in her hand. A to-go cup and a paper bag. "Here, it'll keep you warm and full. It's a little breezy and chilly out there."

I laughed, "Thanks, Jenny!"

"Have a spectacular day!" She called out, to which I called back "You too!"