Seventeen

Seventeen

The week passed by relatively quickly, especially considering that I attended school all five days. Ashton and I had been studying each evening in the café after it close, and I was beginning to understand trigonometry more, which was a huge relief. We do, however, have a test next week that will be a true test of my actual knowledge.

Arriving at school on Friday, I spotted blond haired, innocent looking Isaac down the hall. I am typically not one for reaching out to make friends. Of course, I am friendly to others and try to lighten their gray days, but when it comes to friendships I tend to come up short.

With Ashton, we only started to talk because he was so irritated with me. We spent more time together after he drove me to Black Village, and I suppose we have just gradually become a part of each other’s lives. I would consider us friends, but we still do not talk much at school. Come to think of it, I have no clue what he does at school all day. Maybe he even has more absences than I do.

I digress, though. Something about Isaac was different, in a way that gave me a desire to get to know him. So, I did something I did not usually do with people I just met.

“Isaac!” I called to him, jogging down the short distance to meet him where he stood outside his locker. “Hi.”

He looked at me with wide eyes. “Oh. Sami, uh, hi.”

“How are you doing?” I asked him casually. What I was not expecting, however, was for his eyes to cloud over. It was in the slightest, but it was enough to peak my curiosity.

“I’m fine. I have to get to class though, I can’t be late. Uh, sorry, bye,” He mumbled before closing his locker and hustling away, books held to his chest as if they were his shield.

“It’s Friday, the weekend is almost here!” I called out to him, hoping to make him smile or something like that. Instead, he looked over his shoulder, and the look was heart breaking. For some reason, Isaac’s insecure aura really tugged at my heart strings. Too abruptly, he was gone.

Sighing, I ignored the defeated feeling in my stomach and headed to English class.

“Sparky!” A voice called from behind me, causing me to turn around. Of course, the nickname gave away it was Ashton.

“Good morning,” I smiled to him. “And happy Friday!”

Ashton did not comment on my statement, which was expected. He is typically not one to wish good tidings.

“You doing anything tonight?”

“No, I am not,” I shook my head.

“Great. I’ll pick you up at the café around five,” He nodded in affirmation.

“Wait,” I laughed as he turned to go. He looked at me as expectantly as a puppy would, “Ashton I work until seven.”