Fifteen

Fifteen

"Ashton, where are we-"

"Just trust me," He assured from the driver's seat. Sighing, I realized I had no choice but to trust him at this point.

We were driving down a dirt road outside of town, and it appeared as though we were in a forest. If Ashton was planning to drop and dispose of me this was certainly the way to do it.

Oh shoot, what was I thinking?

Suddenly, though, we were out of the trees, and in a magnificent clearing.

"How did you-"

"I have my ways," He grinned sideways at me, catching me off guard by predicting my sentence yet again. We made our way out in to the clearing, away from the trees and any dirt road. "Come on," Ashton motioned as he got out of the car.

I followed him to the back of the truck were he dropped the bed and ran to the back of his car to grab a couple things. He came back with a sleeping bag, to which I gave him a confused look. He opened the sleeping bag and spread it across the truck back before hopping on and laying down. I was still unsure, but he motion for me to come next to him.

Hesitantly, I climbed on, but was sure to keep a safe distance between the two of us and instead of laying down like Ashton, I was sitting against the back of the truck.

"When I was fourteen I tried to run away," Ashton started, catching me by surprise. "I made it here. Deciding I wanted it to be my own, secret place, I left so no one would find me. Ever since, it has been where I come for some privacy. Plus, you can see all the stars."

Looking up, I realized it was true. The stars were twinkling brilliantly above us, and I remembered all the times I wished to disappear into infinity.

I wasn't sure I could do this, tell Ashton my life.

Swallowing, I started the process. "Ashton, I need to know how much you remember from the night of Jenko's party."

He was silent for a moment, so I patiently gave him time. "I remember arriving, I remember you got mad at me for some reason I don't remember, and then I sorta remember falling asleep on your couch. I definitely remember waking up there." I stay quiet and he continued "I do know that something went down between us, though. Did we...like, make out or something?"

My face reddened, "What? No, no we did not."

"Huh. That's interesting."

"I know your dad." I blurted, trying not to think about the panic I was starting to feel.

"No shit, Sherlock."

"Well Watson, do you know how?" He was silent, and I sighed. "He's my lawyer."

"Sorry, I didn't mean to snap. It's just, really weird for me."

"I understand."

We had a moment of silence, and Ashton broke it. "Sami, I don't know why, but for some reason, I just find you sort of...intriguing."

I laughed lightly, "Intriguing?"

"Yeah, well, you are kind of mysterious and happy and it doesn't make sense."

"Mysterious people can be happy," I pointed out.

I felt him turn to look at me for the first time, so I did the brave thing and glanced at him as well.

"I can tell you're not."

For some reason, the statement hit me hard. All this time, I had thought I was doing an excellent job of concealing myself. Putting on a façade so believable that I was starting to buy in to it myself.