Chapter 3

Russia POV
--------

Everything was to much. The memories were hammering his skull. Memory by memory. To fast. To fast. South. The mauling. Fire. Kill switch. Australia. Punching America. China. Tentacle arm. Monsters. Blood. Claws. Teeth. To much. To fast.

Russia felt like banging his head against the floor on the daily. But drawing helped slow the memories some. But whenever he set that notepad down, they would attack him again. No one would help. Everyone who helped died. He couldn't say anything, or they would die. South had died saving Russia. Australia died because Russia failed. His siblings died because of his ignorance. His father died protecting him. He was a kill switch. When he spoke, when he did anything, people died.

So he wouldn't talk. He wouldn't do anything. Then people would live. They would be happy. He just couldn't talk. He couldn't. It was life and death. But the memories.

Even now they were flashing through his brain. Replaying the cruel nightmares and the harsh truths. He had tried to fight it at first, then he had given up. Given in to the depression and guilt, now it had consumed him. It didn't matter. He didn't matter. All that mattered to him now was that the others were happy and safe.

That's all he wanted.

He wanted to see America smile everyday. He wanted to see Philippines and Vietnam hold hands and smile. He wanted China to laugh. He wanted them, needed them, to be happy. And he made America smile, even without words.

And if he made America smile, he would keep suffering.

And every time America smiled...

He would know that suffering was worth it.

...

The Next Afternoon...

Germany POV
---------

Germany was a healer. He could shoot a gun, but the others had better aim. He didn't like fights and did his best to avoid him. But he would shoot someone if necessary, everyone would. Everyone has done just that, no ones hands were clean. That was the price you had to pay to live in this world. But it was fine. They all were safe now. No more killing. Just recovery.

Germany was reorganizing his supplies. It was nice outside and the sun cast light beams of light through the window. Russia sat in a chair by the window, drawing, silent. Germany worried about him. His mental state wasn't good, he was probably horribly traumatized. But since he wasn't talking, no one could figure out what really happened after Canada carried America out of that fire, leaving Russia behind.

But right now, it was peaceful. Nice to have some peace and quiet for a change. And just on time, the door slammed open. Comical. Vietnam was at the door, breathing hard like he'd been running.

" Germany," he painted," You gotta come quick."

Russia glanced at Vietnam, concern flashed in his eyes. But he quickly realized he probably shouldn't get involved, judging by the wild look in Vietnam's eyes. Russia went back to drawing, silent.

" What wrong," asked Germany.

" South Vietnam," said Vietnam," He started coughing last night. We thought it was nothing. But it's gotten worse, way way worse. He's back at the shack we share."

" Okay," said Germany," I'm on my way."

Germany quickly grabbed some medicine and was out the door, running with Vietnam to the shack nearest to the gate. He saw Philippines and China by the door, glancing around worriedly.

" What are you two doing," snapped Vietnam, stopping by them," I told you guys to stay in there with him."

" He told us to leave," said Philippines, helplessly," What else could we do but listen."

Vietnam went to walk in but a tentacle blocked his path. Before Vietnam could snap at him, China whispered," Listen."

A cough unlike any other China had ever heard erupted from inside. They all looked through the window of the shack. SV was standing, clutching his chest. He looked really weak and feverish. Whatever this sickness was, it developed fast. Then he coughed again. The force of the cough sent him flying backwards. The others stared, appalled. A cough shouldn't be that strong, definitely not.

SV coughed again, but it was more vicious. He ripped off his blindfold and faced the others. His damaged eyes were pained and scared. Then he coughed again, except something happened. He coughed and blood and pieces of lung came out of his mouth. Blood poured from his ears, nose, and eyes. Then he fell, face first, on the ground. The pieces of lung scattered, blood on the walls.

" GERMANY," cried Vietnam," HELP HIM! HELP MY BROTHER!"

" I can't," whispered Germany, tears filling his eyes.

" WHAT DO YOU MEAN," cried Vietnam. Philippines was trying to calm him down, but he shoved her away," WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU CANT?"

Germany looked at him, tears dripping down his cheeks.

" He's dead."

Vietnam's wail was deafening.