Chapter Three

Hey so I just wanted to thank everyone who has read and commented on this story - your comments really make my day and I read every single one of them. :) Rules Were Made to be Broken is in the Watty Awards 2012, so don't forget to keep supporting it throughout the competition! :) Enjoy!

Shotgun,
Aimed at my heart you got one
Tear me apart and listen
How do we call this love?
- Rixton Me and my broken heart

CHAPTER THREE

Doctor Martinez.

I hated her. What kind of sadistic person wakes someone up at frickin six thirty in the morning? Then she had the nerve to ask me how I was feeling, and if I had slept alright.

What did she expect? I had been hit by a car yesterday - of course, I'm feeling brilliant, I was just thinking about taking a hike.

How she passed university, I have no idea. If there is anything I hate more than people asking stupid questions, it's people asking me stupid questions.

Maybe I was just tired - and hungry. The so called "food" that they had given me did nothing to cure my desire for some greasy, salty, terribly unhealthy fries. Mmm. And a burger. Or maybe two burgers - to make up for the unsatisfactory meal I'd had yesterday.

The only good part about my morning so far was that Martinez - I refused to call her Doctor because she hadn't earned it yet in my opinion - Amanda, the nurse, had done more medical stuff than she had - told me that I would be able to go home tomorrow morning.

Which still left me wallowing in boredom and self-pity for the whole day. Good god, by the time tomorrow came around I might already be dead from starvation!

I had already resigned myself to my fate when Amanda came in looking unusually secretive.

"Hey Manda," I said to her as she closed the door behind her.

"Hey there Heather. I just thought I'd see if you wanted to come for a quick walk down to the café. I'm headed there for a coffee and you looked bored, so..." she trailed off looking uncertain.

"I assume Martinez doesn't know that you're kidnapping her patient?" I replied with a laugh, already swinging my legs off the bed.

"Well...not exactly. But a bit of exercise and some fresh air will do you a world of good!"

"What are you saying there, Amanda? Are you calling me fat?" I said teasingly as we tiptoed through the door of my room, closing it behind us.

"How'd you get stuck with me? Aren't you meant to be working, doing your nurse magic?" I asked as we quickly crossed the hall to the elevator. I shivered unconsciously as Amanda pressed the button that would wrench the elevator to our floor.

Observant Amanda had spotted my action, however and she said, "Are you cold? Maybe you should-"

"I-no! I'm not cold, it's just...I don't like elevators very much." I admitted, looking down self-consciously.

To tell the truth, I don't know why I was afraid anyway. I suppose it was a childhood fear. When I was younger, my brother and I had been in an elevator somewhere, I can't even remember where it was. Anyway, Nathan had been pressing all of the buttons and then something went wrong, because the elevator just stopped, halfway between two floors. We pressed the emergency button and were eventually brought to a floor and let out, but it was horrible. Nathan was saying how it could just drop, and we would die, and I was absolutely petrified. Since then, I have been too afraid to go in elevators. I prefer to take the stairs.