Chapter Six

I'm really sorry about the wait! I've just been really busy so this chapter was written over a long time in short snippets so hopefully it's alright.

vote

comment

tell me if you liked it! :)

We know full well there's just time
So is it wrong to dance this line?
If your heart was full of love
Could you give it up?
Cause what about, what about angels?
- Birdy Not about angels

CHAPTER SIX

"Heather!" my mother yelled from downstairs for the fifth time in the last ten minutes. How long would it take for her to get that I wasn't coming downstairs anytime soon?

"Heather?" I heard a voice behind me and I reacted instinctively, spinning around in my chair to face the intruder.

"What?" I screech before I realise that it's not my mother standing in front of me, but my brother. "Oh. Sorry, Nathan. Thought you were her."

He grinned at me knowing exactly what I meant. Over the past week I had embraced my inner rebellious teenager; skipping meals, - although I usually just scheduled my shifts at the café for dinner time and ate there - back-chatting to my mother at every opportunity, disobeying every rule she set and I started dressing differently just so that I could see her disapproving looks as I went past her each morning. Still, it wasn't enough. I needed to do something that would really piss her off.

And finally, yesterday, Carrie had come up with it. Tonight we were going to a party. My mum was so worried about her reputation? I would see that her 'reputation' went out the window. I don't really know why she was freaking out about it so much anyway, she wasn't a celebrity or anything. I mean, yeah, she was pretty high up in some businesses, I didn't know what anymore since she was involved in so many, but my 'misbehaviours' as she put it, wouldn't exactly make headlines.

The party tonight was the biggest party so far this year, and it would be the perfect way to push my mother even further. Of course, she had tried punishing me, I had already been grounded for two months and I was only meant to go out to go to work or school which I would be forced back to in a few weeks. Kill me now.

But nonetheless, I was determined to go to this party. If my mother thought me getting hit by a car when I went to that last party was bad, she had a shock coming for her.

"Heather!" I sighed when I heard my mother thumping her way up the stairs, no doubt being deliberately loud to express her displeasure at my ignoring her.

"What do you think you are doing, young lady? I have been asking you to come downstairs to help with dinner for the past fifteen minutes!" she starts to rant and I am about to tune her out when she moves onto a more dangerous topic.

"...how could you be so selfish? I don't even know you anymore. Your father would have been disappointed."

I snapped my head up.

"How would you know? All I remember before he left was you two hating each other? So how the hell would you know?" I flung the accusation at her and I could see that each one hit her like a knife.

"He was my husband! You barely knew him! You-you don't know anything, anything about-about what happened between us."

There was dead silence after this. How could she say that, he was my father, and she was saying I didn't know him? I stood up, my blood pulsing through my veins.