Prologue

Here's the prologue, hopefully its okay. Rules Were Made to be Broken is in the Watty Awards, so here's hoping it got through to the second round, thank you to all who read it. Enjoy! :) COver on the side made by dumbledorepls, it's beautiful thankyou! :)

Prologue

          “They’re coming for me.”

The voice that spoke through the darkness was soft as a summer breeze and piercing as shards of ice.

          “I know.”

A response equally as chilling, tinged with sadness.

Rhys Steele kept to the shadows, the lingering darkness offering protection. Only the faint gleam of silver gave away his presence.

In darkest light, she is shadowed.

Doomed to die, for words so hallowed.

          “Kapri, I’m-“

          “Don’t. Don’t say that you’re sorry. It won’t change anything.”

He nodded, his pale eyes glittering with unshed tears of diamond. Rhys Steele had made his mistake one hundred years ago, when he broke his vows before the Lord of Shadows.

His curse, his doom, was hers to bear.

          “When will it start?” Her voice was barely a whisper, yet it echoed with a power that only she possessed.

          “Now.”

He closed his eyes briefly, a sweep of raven’s wings on snow, and then those blinding silver irises were trained on Kapri.

The girl shivered, the first sign of the life leaving her body. Already she was pale, shimmering faintly with the frost of death.

Frosted lashes, silent lips.

Winter grasps cold fingertips.

Through the night and through the day,

Winter’s song begins to play.

          “Rhys…I love you.”

He opened his mouth to reply but he uttered no words. Instead, he left the safety of the twisting shadows, and crossed the room to stand next to her.

Her hair, tangled in a ruby cloud was slowly darkening with the curse. Carefully, shade by shade, it turned as black as a raven’s feathers.

Skin white as snow,

Hair dark as night.

Already her lips were deepening from a playful summer hue into the richer tones of winter, scarlet, in stark contrast to her frosted cheeks.

The shadows were roiling, dancing around the edges of the room, sometimes sending daring tendrils to stroke the ghostly figures.

          “I never wanted this for you Kapri.”

She was silent for a moment before she spoke again, her voice crisp as new fallen snow.

          “Finish it.”

Rhys stepped forward into the shaft of moonlight coming through the window. Out of the shadows, he looked more out of place than usual, the half-light casting deep shadows across his face.

He lowered his head, lips delicately brushing across hers. Where his skin touched her, frost bloomed like deadly flowers across her skin. She gasped, her fingers automatically seeking out the iciness trailing across her skin.

          “Do it.” She breathed and Rhys once again bent his head to hers.

Her breath misted from her cherry red lips, and her eyes closed in an imitation of sleep as his fangs sunk into the wintry skin of her throat. A single drop of blood froze, poised against her frosted neck.

As quickly as she had entered his life, she left.

Under Winter’s moon, sweet poison grows,

Last night upon the Earth she knows.

His bitter embrace loosens its grasp,

Her blood like wine flows from its cask.

Vote & comment your thoughts, thanks! :)