Chapter 6

Unfortunate

I breathe heavily before entering the room. Kuya was already there, holding mom's hand while his eyes are shut.

Tumayo siya nang makita ako, I quickly went to mom to check if she's really okay. Kuya explained on what happened to mom earlier and based on my understandings it's because of her heart condition.

Mom has a weak heart ever since were kids. She often go to the hospital with us, kahit nung mga bata pa kami ni kuya, we keep on insisting that we should go with mom every time she consults the doctor because we are both scared to loose our mom easily.

"Where is dad, still at work?" I asked and sat next to him.

Kuya was fixing mom's hair while I'm caressing her hand. "He's already on the way," kuya said. I was about to ask another question but the doctor with the nurses behind him entered.

"It's been awhile since I last saw the both of you, you've matured a lot I see," Doc. Madriaga said and pat our shoulders but I gave him a hug and kuya gave him a smile.

"How's mom's heart? Does she need to under go surgery?" Kuya asked worriedly behind me.

"Don't worry ijo, your mom is doing well but she needs to rest. Don't let her do some heavy works first dahil maaring manikip ang puso niya because of that, I prescribed her some maintenance and let's see first if it works within a month okay?" the doctor explained and the two of us just nodded.

The doctor already went out because he still have some rounds to do and left the three of us there.

"Kuya, I won't go to school muna. I'm staying here with mom, to check her," I know kuya is gonna oppose on my decision but I already made up my mind

He looked at me seriously in the eyes and sighed, both of us turned at the door as it opened. I saw dad hurriedly went to our side and held mom's hand first before caressing her cheeks.

Kuya Cyan patted dad's shoulder before pulling me outside the room, kuya refused at my desicion earlier kaya hindi na ako nakipagtalo pa.

"Mom will be fine okay? I'll update you every time, just focus on your studies and stay on your condo, malayo pa ang magiging byahe mo pag sa bahay ka pa uuwi," he said while his hands were crossed.

Kuya is sweet and caring but doesn't show on his face, he looked rough and stern kaya ang iba minsan ay natatakot makipag-usap sakanya but I swear he is also funny.

Like he told me, I focused more on my study and stayed in my condo. I'm always alone with Demeter because the others is also busy, last time narinig ko kay dad na maaga gaganapin ang soiree ng mga Romanesque this year kaya siguro busy sina Rhyx at Arin.

It always happens once a year based on their family traditions so only their close colleagues and friends are invited.

"How's Tita Celeste's condition pala, is her health improving na?" Demeter asked while eating her food.

"No, I don't think so. Kuya told me na wala pang nag babago sa kanyang kondisyon for the past weeks so I'm worried," I am lazy to buy a meal today so nakikikain ako kay Demeter today.

"Have you heard about the upcoming event of the Saldarriaga? Mom told me na it was a private island and pili lang rin ang imbitado doon,"

I shrugged my shoulders as an answer. After that day onwards, we never see each other again kahit dito sa university.

Our professor dismissed us early so I decided to visit mom at the hospital. I was about to start my engine when I heard a knock from my door, I saw everyone outside waiting to open my window at dahil sa sobrang dami ng iniisip ko hindi ko namamalayan ang mga nasa paligid ko.