Chapter 14

Neji was forced awake by the smell of deliciousness. He was still exhausted after his long trip to Japan and back.  Trying not to feel guilty for taking the day off because of them finding so much information on Sai but Garra insists that he has to wait on some final forensic evidence before they can even proceed. 

Naruto smiled as Neji walked into the kitchen. "Morning."  He greeted, placing a plate of pancakes in front of him. 

Yawning out a good morning and running his hand through his bed headed hair he eagerly accepted the plate pouring maple syrup over the stack.  He was still trying to recover from the jet lag of his trip across the world two days ago. 

"I'm surprised you're awake." Eying his sleepy looking friend in amusement whilst wiping his hands with a dish cloth and leaning against the counter, his hands subconsciously rubbing over the swell of his stomach.  "The smell of food called you over?" His face morphed into a smirk, teasing him.  

Moaning in pure joy.  “You make the best pancakes, what can I say." 

"How was the trip?"  

Came a question he really didn't want to answer, causing him to gaze up from his plate. "We got the leads we were hoping for but I'm not talking to you about it." He said sipping at the pippin hot coffee. "Consider this me taking care of you and you taking care of them. That's your only job right now."  Pointing his fork towards the rotund belly and winking at him but his tone was serious. 

"Is it almost over?" He bit his lip sadly and unconsciously placed his hand back on his belly. 

Neji put his fork down. What could he say? Naruto had taken up with some one who was cunning, sly and precise. Someone who was very good at their job until that one slip and then that's when they come in.

"I can't be a hundred percent sure..." He paused, trying to find the right words to explain to his friend. He couldn't give the latter to much hope because he himself wasn't sure how much control was on his side. "He's getting sloppy.  So hopefully yes, it'll be over soon. There's a light at the end of that tunnel, but I'm not sure how far we are from it.  That's all that I can discuss with you" 

Naruto nodded. He didn't know how to feel. If someone had came to him before all this and told him that this was going to be his life, he would of thought they were crazy and would've carried on his life with Sai, repressing any thoughts about a certain raven he grew up with. 

"I won't lie to you. Sai is one of the slyest kingpins that we've ever had to deal with, but what I can tell you from experience and history, they eventually slip up and the evidence we've gathered so far indicates that he is. Why he is, we don't know yet but we're working on it. What I'm asking you to do is focus on yourself and the twins. I know that's probably not easy to do considering the circumstances but it would really help me out. Okay. Do you think that you can do that for me?"  The closeness of this situation was new for him and he himself was feeling a constant level of anxiety so he could only imagine how the younger victim was constantly feeling.