Chapter 3

Naruto was ecstatic.  He and Sai had just returned from a weekend vacation.  Sai had surprised him with a breathtaking getaway to Hawaii.  Naruto had always wanted to go see the island, home to amazing volcanoes and beaches.  His dream finally came true and not just because they spent ten days on the beautiful island, but Sai decided to spoil him as well taking him whale watching. He had always had a fascination with the majestic creatures and found the whale watching tour mind-blowing. 

The romantic dinners and walks along the beach was an atonement of why he had fallen in love with the raven, but the climax of the entire vacation was the night that Sai proposed to him.  After five years of dating he finally popped the question, totally catching him off guard the night the waiter served them champagne and he almost drank the delicate gold ring.  Sai had never moved so fast in all of his life afraid that he would choke and the evening ending up in the emergency room.  Grabbing the glass of the half drank bubbly alcoholic drink, he fished out the ring before getting down on one knee and asking his hand in marriage.  The chaotic motion took the blonde completely by surprise that the raven had to repeat himself several times before everything sunk in.  Naruto hadn’t remembered crying so much from joy till that moment he said yes, blushing a deep red when they kissed in front of the small audience watching them.  

Naruto smiled to himself looking at the ring on his left hand whilst preparing himself a Sunday afternoon sandwich. Sai had told him that he had some unexpected business to tend to and wouldn’t be home until after dinner time.  He felt pity for his now fiancée having to work on a Sunday but it wasn’t the first time he had gotten a phone call and had to suddenly leave.  The blonde didn’t quite understand the intricacies of the raven’s work but he didn’t question it knowing that he worked hard to support their lifestyle. 

Humming and moving his body along to the song playing on the television in the living room he found himself slightly distracted when the knife accidentally slipped, cutting his finger. “Ouch!” He exclaimed grabbing the injured extremity and quickly wrapping it in a towel.  He was too focused on trying to halt the bleeding that he barely paid attention to the breaking news announcement flashing a picture of a prominent man found dead in a street alley that came across the screen.

“First aid? First aid?" He whispered to himself impatiently, looking away from the t.v. and opening the cloth to see how deep the cut was.  Checking the kitchen cabinets for the red case filled with first aid supplies; feeling annoyed when he didn’t find it in the bathroom cabinet.  He moved his desperate search to their bedroom until he was in their closet standing on a chair to check the top self when he almost lost his balance.  To keep from falling, he leaned onto the self with his injured hand and pressed his other hand onto the wall, when he felt the panel cave in a little, frightening him at first.  His curiosity fueled to see how cracked it was and knowing that Sai was probably going to have a repair project on his hands. “Great!  Sai’s going to hate having to fix this,” he muttered to himself.  He pushed a little harder on the space and to his confusion the wall actually opened up revealing a hidden compartment.  “What...?” He whispered loudly as his heartbeat picked up in a panic, feeling overwhelmed at the sight of a gun laying on top of a metal box.  

Against his better judgment he opened the box to discover what looked like several thousands of dollars in large currency bills.  On top of the money were photos of a middle aged Italian man.  Naruto's heart sank, praying that what he had discovered wasn’t real.  Immediately all those odd times of the day and night that the raven left their residence to go to ‘work‘ plagued his mind, forcing him to one conclusion...”No.  This can’t be...!” He gasped, thinking this couldn't be the man he knew..the man he was about to marry.

...

"I'm coming!” Grumbled Neji at the sound of someone frantically banging at his door. "There better be a fire behind you-,” he said in the midst of opening the door only to be interrupted by a short blonde man scampering past him, letting himself in. "Well... uh, hello to you too." Neji said sarcastically, roughly closing the door.