Chapter 34

I was once again standing outside Jared's house, two times in as many days. The tall structure seemed to loom over me, larger than I'd ever realized. That seemed to happen quite often; everything seeming larger, more daunting, when faced with making a life altering decision.

I still hadn't really decided what I was going to do, but I knew before I left, a final decision would be made.

I went up to the front door and stood there before knocking hesitantly. I didn't know what I was going to do.

Alex opened the door, a bright smile on her face and she bounced to the side letting me in.

"I haven't talked to him yet. I was waiting for you to come."

"Why? So you could throw me under the bus?" I said it jokingly; though I was worried that's what she'd do.

Alex smiled and shrugged. "You have a better chance than I would."

She was right about that, and I had been the one who agreed to teach her. Though I was certain he wouldn't mind her knowing how to defend herself. Her wanting to train to hunter capabilities-that I wasn't going to go near without his permission.

"Jared, get down here!" Alex yelled loudly in the direction of the stairs. "There's someone here to see you!"

Within seconds I saw Jared at the top of the stairs making his way down. He didn't look our way until he was halfway down. I saw someone else behind him, Tasha.

I saw the slight falter in his step, causing him to nearly slip, giving Tasha enough time to catch up to him. She reached out a hand to steady him and I felt something react inside me.

The girl's eyes made their way to me and I saw them go wide.

"Tash, could you-"

"Yeah, I'm just going to go back-" she pointed toward the upper level and went back up quickly.

"What's going on?"

I cleared my throat and pushed whatever feeling I'd just experienced aside. My hands were stiff at my sides as I looked at him. "We had some things left to talk about. And there are a few...new things as well." I glanced sideways at Alex standing awkwardly next to me.

"Maybe we should go in there," Alex says pointing to the living room.

Jared and I went into the living room, Alex following last and she shut a set of doors. Jared and I exchange a small glance. We both knew Alex's intentions, and they were basically useless. She wanted privacy, so I wouldn't tell her, but closing the doors wouldn't do much to keep Tasha from hearing whatever we said. If she wanted to listen in on our conversation, she would be able to.

"I think your sister has something she wants to tell you," I said first, sitting on the arm of the couch. I didn't look at her because I knew she'd be glaring at me. I would rather get her part out of the way first though so Jared and I could talk alone.

It wasn't that I didn't like Alex and I didn't want her around for that. It was just that was more of a subject that should be just between him and myself.

"Alex?" Jared asked.

I didn't blame him for sounding confused. Suddenly your maybe girlfriend pulls you into a room with your sister to talk to you about something? 'What in the heck are these girls doing behind my back' would be my first question.

"I...know." Her voice came out small, unsteady. If I didn't know what she was talking about, I would have been completely lost.

"You know what?" Jared asked.