Chapter 11

CHAPTER 11

I'd been antsy the entire class time. I tried to think of different excuses to get out of meeting up with Jared after class, but I couldn't think of anything good. I couldn't pay attention at all. I'd taken on my brother's restless leg syndrome. It was bouncing nonstop.

"Electra. Are you paying attention?" Mrs. Bently's tight voice broke me out of my trance.

"What was the question?"

"There was no question. I just like to make sure my students are actually paying attention in my class." She took her hand off my desk and started walking around the room. I sighed and slid down in my seat a bit.

Mrs. Bently handed out a pop quiz. I scratched down answers not really sure if what I was putting down was right or not. When I was done, I got in line behind the students to turn it in, and we left. Fifteen minutes before the bell. If I was going to skip out, I had the perfect opportunity. I could be well on my way home by the time Jared would leave class and then I wouldn't have to worry about it ... until the next morning.

I wanted to leave, but I also wanted to stay. My own mind was confusing me, and I didn't like it. I made my way out to the lobby where tables were dispersed, and I sat at one in the middle. Everything was quiet, too quiet. It allowed me to hear the thoughts running through my head loud and clear. I didn't want to listen to those right now. They were too conflicting. The thoughts that told me what I was doing was insane and I should leave right this minute, and the ones that said I needed to relax and stop running from everything.

Pulling out my headphones, I put them in my ear and connected the cord to my phone so I could listen to music. I turned the volume up loud, making it impossible to think. Scrolling through playlists and social media gave my brain a temporary break. It was almost as good as hunting.

People passed by and I knew classes had been let out. Everyone was scrambling around to get to their last class of the day, their eyes glazed over from a day full of learning, wishing they didn't have to go to one more. That's why I'd made sure I had the free period at the end.

The flow of students slowed down and I looked at the clock. Maybe Jared had something else and I was going to get off without having to make the decision myself. The passing period was about to end. I would give it another five minutes and if he didn't show up, then I'd just walk home.

No sooner had I finished the thought, someone took the seat right next to me. I pulled out one of the ear buds, my ear ringing with the sudden loss of noise, and my palm started to sweat. Looked like there was no running away.

"What's up?"

Jared shrugged. "Not much. You?"

"The same. So I only have a couple options here. My dad wants me home when he gets back. He's gotten a little protective due to the black eye thing. He doesn't want me wandering around at dark anymore or something. So, we can either stay here and whatnot until classes end." I paused, hoping he would take that option."

"Or?" He offered.

"Or we can go to my house."

He studied my face and I became self-conscious. What was he looking at? What did he see? Had I slipped somewhere in what I'd said? I swallowed hard waiting for him to finally say something.

"We can go to your place if that works."

"Sure. This place is like a prison anyway." I wiped my palms on my pants before standing up from the table. We went out to his car, and he surprised me by opening my door first. No one had ever done something like that. I thought it was a gesture reserved solely for books and the olden days. I regained myself in the time it took him to walk around to his side.