Chapter 23

I walked up the stairs of the big, Gothic looking building, keeping a couple steps in front of my dad. I pulled the door open and stepped into the silence. There wasn't a single person to be found upstairs on a Monday, at least not here, but I knew that everything was going on below the surface.

My dad led the way taking me down a hallway, making various turns until we ended up at a dead end. He touched something on the wall, and a panel opened up in front of us revealing a set of stairs that led down. He stepped to the side again, letting me go first. I silently stepped through the new doorway.

The cold hit me immediately and I was glad I had my leather jacket. Dim lights hung from the walls, dispersed evenly, giving just enough light to make out the path in front of us. The farther down we went, the lighter it became until I was standing under fluorescent lights that opened up an entire world.

"Jaeger," a woman said, stepping around a table toward us.

"Klarke," my father replied, firmly grasping the woman's hand and shaking it. "This is Electra."

The woman looked me over before giving a nod of approval. I couldn't help but feel like I was something being auctioned off and Klarke had just done her inspection that would decide whether or not she would bid on me.

"Nice to meet you, Electra," the woman said holding out her hand.

I shook it, nodding.

"If you don't mind, it's policy that everyone be searched. If you would, please turn over any weapons you have on you."

"Seriously?"

The woman stared at me with cold gray eyes, letting me know that she was indeed serious. I sighed and handed over the small bag that had the crossbow, arrows, and bullets.

She started to thank me when she was silenced as I reached into my jacket, pulling out the gun that was concealed inside. I set it on the table before reaching to my back pulling out the second gun followed by the dagger.

She was about to speak up again when I lifted up one foot after the other pulling out the stakes. I watched the woman the whole time as she watched me. I watched as her brows slowly rose in surprise with each new weapon I pulled out.

"Well, you certainly are prepared," she said sounding emotionless.

"It's what I learned."

I could see my dad smirking just to the side of me, happy that someone seemed impressed with what he had taught his kid. If I remembered correctly, Klarke was one of the highest families within the Organization.

"So I see, why are you here then?" She tried to joke.

"I don't know. I asked the same question when he told me what I'd be doing," I said flatly.

Klarke smiled tightly and nodded to my dad before he went off on his own, probably to finish whatever business he'd had here before he picked me up. The woman led me further into the underground facility.

"I'll get my dagger back, right?" I asked as we passed a sparring area. I watched the two people fighting as we kept walking on.

"Eventually. We don't allow weapons unless you're in combat training or sparring. Or unless there's an attack, but we hope that never becomes an issue."

"What do you mean? This is the hunter's Organization, why can't I have my dagger?"

"Some changes have been made in recent years, and we agree that this is safer than letting everyone run around armed. There are select operatives who do stand guard, but for the most part we are just regular people who happen to learn about the supernatural and prepare ourselves for the time we come face to face with them."