Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

I grabbed the last box in the living room and walked it out to the moving truck. Heaving it into the back, I jumped down and turned to my brother.

"Is that everything?"

He poked his head inside and scanned the living room and entryway before meeting me down by the truck. "Looks like. Do you want to drive the car or the truck?"

"Are you kidding? I'm not going to pass up my last chance to drive the Mustang." As if something like that were even a question. I lived for that Mustang.

Josh laughed and tossed me the keys to his car.

"We're heading out, Dad," I called into the house.

Our dad stepped out onto the porch, setting a rag down before making his way down the stairs. "Josh, take care of your sisters. And make sure that one gets back on the road when she's supposed to." He pointed at me. I rolled my eyes.

"Sarah's fine. She's been on her own for a while now. She can handle herself." Josh said.

Our dad held Josh's gaze, not accepting that as an answer.

"Will do, sir."

"Good." He pulled Josh into a tight embrace. "And you," he said looking to me.

"I know, drive safe and come back first thing in the morning," I repeated what he'd told me probably a million times that week alone. "Now if you'll excuse me, there's a certain blue beauty calling to me." I gave Dad a quick hug and ran over to the car, jumping in behind the wheel.

I sat there for a moment, my hands running over the smooth, black steering wheel and feeling the leather underneath me. I sure was going to miss this car. Josh owned my dream car, and I always stole it from him when I had the chance. I may just have to move in with them so I could drive this beautiful piece of engine and horsepower again.

I adjusted the seat, wheel, and mirrors and buckled up.

When Josh pulled out in the truck I followed him. I turned the radio on, blasting the top forty and sang along with the windows down. My long, brown hair whipping wildly around.

The drive lasted two hours, ending in a nice neighborhood with a series of apartments, duplexes and small houses.

We pulled up in front of one of the nicer looking apartment buildings. When I got out of the car I let out a low whistle. "You must be glad for those hunter checks now, aren't ya?" I asked looking up at the building.

Josh snorted slightly. "Sure, 'cause it sure isn't the fact that I'm a lawyer and Sarah just became a doctor."

"Hey, we get paid to help keep people safe. Lawyer and doctor by day, hunters by night," I winked at him. It's what our father did. Boring old day job, saving unsuspecting humans from supernatural attack by night. I wished there didn't need to be a day job.

Josh looked at me like he was keeping something. I was about to press him when he pushed the button, letting Sarah know we were waiting. She buzzed us up and we went inside to the elevator.

I stopped as soon as I stepped through the doorway. It was probably the nicest apartment I'd seen. In person anyway. Though I suppose that wasn't too hard to top considering the places I'd seen had been pretty bad. They were cesspools where werewolves and other monsters hid themselves. Even so, this looked like a mansion compared to those.

"It's a loft apartment," Sarah said, reading my mind. Or else my jaw really had just hit the floor.

I spun in a circle, looking around. The place was amazing. The wide-open space, the view of the city out the window, and the best part—it smelled like freedom. It was nice being at home and I loved my dad, but there were days when I couldn't wait to be on my own.