Chapter 11

Skyscraper

Habits will always return, like snow during winter season or the love for an ex-lover, but when a person slowly changes, feelings change too. Estella used to be reckless; a killing machine, capable of snapping someone’s neck without flinching, but now…she felt guilt; she felt like her old self.

Estella had woken up around noon in her hotel room with a tear stained face. She had cleaned up, but could not stand the oppressive atmosphere of the room, that barely fit in a bed and drawer. She needed fresh air and started wandering down the streets, still sporting her usual attire, but dropping the attitude. She felt lost and let her aching feet guide her anywhere her mind wouldn’t think of going.

Estella approached the tree opposite the local High School again and leant her head against it. The loud noise of the school bell echoed around the school and happy students started leaving the building. Among them, Estella caught a familiar voice with her sharp hearing.

“Caroline, is Tyler really the only thing you can talk about?”, Elena asked a little down. Estella spotted her with the blonde girl and dark skinned girl she had seen walking around the school last time. The ditsy blond smiled brightly and wildly turned her head to look at Elena. Elena lifted her head to look at her friend but instead caught Estella’s eyes from a distance. She was sad, Elena could tell. Her eyes were puffy and her hair was a mess. She felt extremely compassionate about the girl.

“Ella”, Elena gasped wide-eyed. “I’ll be right back”, she told Caroline and Bonnie and hurried to Estella, afraid that the girl might’ve already left. A car blocked her vision for a second and when it was gone, Elena saw Estella walking away indeed.

“Wait!”, Elena yelled and ran across the street. “Ella wait!”, Elena tried again. Estella did not bother looking over her shoulder and held her saddening slow pace. When Elena was close enough she took her chance and pulled Estella’s arm, forcing the girl to face her. She looked like a mess indeed; like she had been crying all night.

“Ella, what’s wrong?”, Elena asked worried. She had never seen the girl like this before during the week they’d lived together.

Estella’s face turned from sad to angry within a moment. “How could you”, she yelled, salty tears started flooding down her cheeks again. “How could you pretend to be my mother? You have no idea how long I’ve been searching for her. I truly thought you were her.”

Estella grew quiet as she casted her eyes down on the grass. She heard Elena take a deep breath before the girl decided to talk again.

“I am…so sorry”, Elena spoke. The little tremble in her voice showed how genuinely sorry she was. “I’m sorry”, Elena breathed again and stepped closer to Estella. She gently rubbed her arm before pulling the girl in for a hug.

Estella broke down completely and surrendered to Elena. No matter how much she wanted the hate the girl, Elena had finally made her feel what is was like to be loved. Elena had been a true mother to her and had never done anything to harm her. Elena had simply wanted to make her happy and Estella knew. She hugged Elena closer and let the tears stream until there were no more left. Still sobbing Estella pulled back and dried her eyes.

“Thank you…for being so kind”, Estella smiled weakly. Elena nodded and put an arm around the girl’s waist, guiding her towards the car.

“Come on, let’s take you home”, Elena said. Estella’s heart fluttered. She had a home and this time it was for real. It was Elena she moved in with, and apparently Jeremy, Elena’s brother, too. It was the reason she could not be invited in the first time she visited the house. Elena had lied to her about many things, but Estella did not bother, because the one thing Elena had never lied about was her compassion for the orphan and capability of friendship. Elena was a true friend.