Chapter 2

A/N: This chapter contains a flashback! There'll be more of them in the future, so beware! And I changed the song title :)

Good intentions

Some people never get what they wish for. Fortunately for Estella that wasn’t the case. She could get anything she desired, except for the one thing she longed for: a family.

She had sailed the oceans, crossed several borders and visited over a thousands of cities, but never had she met one person who she became close with. She did not care about friends or acquaintances. She wanted something everlasting, like the relationship between a mother vampire and daughter. Katerina Petrova was her mother and Estella was desperate to find her.

Vladimir called after the stubborn girl. He wanted her to stay with him and his family in Bulgaria, be the happy family they had always been, but the girl had changed her mind.

“Estella”, Sofiya’s voice called after her adoptive daughter. Tears streamed down the woman’s worn-out face as she held onto her husband firmly.Vladimir gently stroked his wife’s back as he watched the girl turn around.

“I am not your daughter anymore”, she said, a gloomy hint hidden in her voice. “I never was your daughter!”, she yelled angrily. There was a glister of sadness in her eyes that gave Vladimir hope. The girl they had taken in as a baby and raised like their own child was not completely lost. Estella had always been a happy child; from the moment she was born until the moment they had to answer her question. ‘Why don’t I look like Miroslav and Ana?’, the twelve year old girl had asked. Vladimir and Sofiya were hesitant to tell her, but decided she needed to know the truth, because if they did not tell her before she found out on her own, they would lose her forever.

Estella coped with the fact that she was adoptive for six years. She seemed to have taken it well, although she grew quieter than before. She never lost the fire in her eyes and kept living life to the fullest, until the day of her eighteenth birthday arrived.

Estella was furious, at everyone and everything. She packed her bags and prepared to leave. She would find her real mother and the woman would take her back, as if she had never given her away as a baby. Estella longed for the bond that was not only shared by something emotional, but by blood. 

“For years”, Estella’s trembling voice said, “I’ve wondered about my real mother. Now it is time for me to find her.”

Sofiya broke down and collapsed on the floor. Her husband kneeled down next to her and hugged her close. He tried hiding his tears by burying his face in her neck but his shaking back betrayed him.

“I am truly sorry”, Estella whispered before leaving the couple behind and starting her journey. She would find her real mother, even if it would take forever.

Estella woke up, dripping in sweat in her hotel room. She shot up in her bed, breathing heavily from the dream she'd just had. Her dead heart pounded out of her chest as she pressed a firm hand against it. She sighed and waited until she calmed down.

“It was just a dream”, she reassured herself, thinking about the vivid memory. It was the moment in history she regretted the most, but also the moment she had been most proud of.

While the sun had not decided to reveal itself and the full moon stood gloriously in the sky, Estella listened closely to the world outside her window. It was silent, with every now and then the noise of a droning engine of a car. Estella had expected to hear at least one werewolf howl, considering MysticFalls’ reputation. She had heard stories of vampires, werewolves and witches, roaming around the town unnoticed. Her mother’s name was mentioned in one of the stories, along with the names of the Salvatore brothers. She had not expected to find any of them still around in this town, seeing as they lived here almost a 150 years ago, but it was worth giving a try.

Estella waited for the first ray of suns to penetrate the windows of her hotel room and dressed in her usual attire. Black skinny jeans, a fitting shirt, black ankle boots with sky-high heels and of course, a vampire’s must have: a leather jacket. She stared in the full length mirror and thought about the latter. A leather jacket, vampire. The man at the bar wore a leather jacket. Does that mean he’s a vampire?

A smirk crossed Estella’s tinted face as she praised her brilliant mind. A small vampire hunt in this pathetic little town wouldn’t hurt, would it?