Chapter 5

Home

A welcome home sign was attached to the door of the cute house that Estella could call home from now on. Katerina had invited her to move in with her after they had talked for almost an hour yesterday. Katerina told stories about her youth and how she too had fled most of the time.

Estella rang the doorbell and waited for her mother to open the door .She had packed her bags early and left her hotel room without even paying a dollar. Being a vampire did come in handy sometimes. The sound of a lock caught Estella’s attention as she held in her excitement. God those human emotions would be the death of her someday.

“Hi”, Estella smiled and picked up her bags from the floor. She was greeted by her mother’s warm smile.

“Welcome home”, Katerina said and gestured for Estella to come in. Estella stepped forward, reaching the door frame but was thrown back by some kind of magical force. If this was Katerina’s house, why did she need to be invited in?

Elena started freaking out on the inside, but tried to come across as calm. Estella couldn’t come in because she had to be invited; the house still belonged to Jeremy, who was human. Estella could not find out about Jeremy because it would betray Elena and she did not fancy an angry 500 year old vampire in her home.

“Estella, why don’t you come inside?”, Elena smiled confidently. She stepped out of the way and let Estella enter. The girl that was supposed to be her daughter smiled thankfully, yet there was a certain suspicion that crossed her mind. She lingered next to Elena, pretending to be fascinated by the plain hall, before walking into the living room.

Estella smelled Katerina; she was most definitely a vampire, so she had to be her mother. But why could she not enter the house then? For now Estella decided to let it pass, but she would keep an eye out later. Something wasn’t right.

Estella glanced around the living room, bordering a white homey kitchen. It was quite spacious for only one person living in it. She dropped her bags and inhaled the scent of the hardwood floor. Satisfied she dropped onto the couch and stretched herself, enjoying the peaceful sphere of the house.

“Estella, do you nee-”, Katerina said entering the living room shortly after Estella.

“Ella”, Estella smiled at her mother. “Please call me Ella.”

Katerina nodded. “Ella, please let me know if you need anything. I’ll be-”, Katerina started but was cut off the by sound of the bell ringing. “-at the door”, she finished raising her eyebrows and disappeared into the hall again.

Ella listened closely to her mother’s voice and could distinguish two other male voices. Being curious, she got off the couch and followed her mother’s footsteps to the hall. She turned around the corner with a blank expression that grew angry as soon as she saw who was at the door. Katerina was about the whisper something to one of the men at the door, when his attention suddenly turned to Estella. He did not look angry but surprised and eyed her closely.

“What are you doing here?”, Damon asked Ella.

“What are you doing here?”, Ella shot back, stepping forward with her arms crossed over her chest. She glared at Damon, almost making his feel intimidated. After all it was she, a woman, who had proven to be the strongest of both. “You told me you didn’t know where Katerina Petrova was.”

The second guy that Ella presumed must’ve been his brother, Stefan, the ripper, was about to say something but closed his mouth again. Instead he decided to shoot her a surprised look and waited for his brother to speak.

With her back turned to Estella, Elena shot the Salvatore brothers a worrisome look and mouthed that they had to play along. She hoped they understood because knowing Damon, all of this could be turned upside down within seconds and battle would commence. Elena shot Damon one last warning look before she turned around and smiled at Estella.

Estella watched as the Damon guy entered the house, glancing from Estella to Katerina and back, and halted next to Katerina. “Oh, I see the misunderstanding. You said you were looking for Katarina Petrova”, Damon said, a playful smirk gracing his handsome face. “This…”, he said putting his hands Katerina’s shoulder. “…is Katherine Pierce.”

“Katherine Pierce”, Estella repeated and raised an eyebrow. She slowly approached him with her arms crossed over her chest, her hips swaying from left to right and a vicious glare on her face. “Are…you…stupid?”, she asked, leaning slightly towards Damon.

“I prefer the word unintelligent”, Damon answered putting his index up and lifted his eyebrows. The smirk never left his face and Estella wanted to do nothing more but slap it off his face. She could kill even more of his brain cells within seconds, leaving him to be able to do nothing but drool. Unfortunately he was a vampire and would cure within a couple of minutes but that didn’t take away the fun of it.

A soft chuckled could be heard from Stefan, while Katerina or Katherine looked worried. She swallowed loudly and looked everywhere but Estella’s eyes. Estella didn’t want to make a bad impression on her mother the first day she moved in so she decided not to continue plan ‘break Damon’s brains’.

Instead she unfolded her arms and threw them in the air. “Unbelievable”, she said and rolled her eyes. She pushed Katherine and Damon and stepped outside, leaving the three vampires behind.

“Where are you going?”, Katherine called after her.

“Anywhere!”, Ella yelled without turning back. She waved over her head and disappeared down the street using her vampire speed.

When Estella was gone Elena sighed relieved.

“So”, Damon said in a very very seducing voice. He approached Elena and smirked. “Katherine…”

“Shut up Damon”, Elena said and punched his arm. Damon laughed, while Stefan’s expression stayed blank as he passed his brother and followed Elena into the living room.