Chapter 6

Good feeling 

Click Clack on the pavement.

It was a melodious tune produced by the harmonized steps of mother and daughter. Although Estella heels were far higher than her mother’s, she enjoyed the sound that indicated she was not alone anymore.

Estella flicked her hair back over her shoulder and sent provocative glances at people passing by. Mothers would hide their children behind their legs, while shooting her disapproving looks, while men smirked and nodded. She even winked at a cute guy, no older than 25 and turned around to wave at him seductively. He smiled and shook his head in disbelief. Did that just really happen? I bet you it did.

Satisfied Estella walked beside her mother as they strolled down the many stores in the center of MysticFalls. Estella did not bother hiding her naughty and flirtatious self anymore. Katherine didn’t seem to bother, though she kept mostly quiet whenever Estella’s provocative nature came out. She would usually keep a blank expression and follow her daughter's gaze every now and then.

Elena did not feel comfortable at all walking next to Estella. Elena was used to having a good reputation and walking next to a flirting machine with infinite sex appeal did not help keeping that image up. Of course people didn’t know that they were supposed to be mother and daughter, but did try to act somewhat like it. Whenever Estella would intertwine their arms a feeling of panic crossed Elena’s mind and she wouldn’t be able to function for the time being anymore.

Estella had gotten used to her mother’s silent and reserved behavior after a week of living with her. She was not at all what Estella had expected but she still was Estella’s mother and Estella loved her no matter what.

“Do you want to go in there?”, Katherine said pointing at the shoe store across the street. Estella recognized the store as the one with the ugly shoes and sighed.

“Sure”, she replied and started crossing the street without looking out for any cars. A guy riding his scooter was humming along with his I-pod and almost hit in the side. Estella, having heightened senses and fine agility, had no problem dodging him and jumped onto the pavement as if nothing had just happened. She turned around with a girly smile and waved at Katherine to follow. Katherine, whose face looked deathly pale, nodded carefully and stepped onto te road with baby steps.

 Estella sighed and rolled her eyes. She ran back onto the road and grasped her mothers arm. “Come on”, she smiled and pulled Katherine along as she ran back to the pavement again. She laughed at the cautiousness of her mother. “Don’t worry, you know I cannot die that easily”, she reassured and held open the door to the shoe store. “After you…mom”, she said and smiled.

Estella watched as Katherine looked around the room. She had sat down on a cahir and was busy filling her nails when Katherine needed her opinion.

 “What do you think of these ones?”, Katherine said and showed the flat shoes off. Estella swallowed down a nasty comment as she stared at the hideous shoes – she couldn’t insult her mother’s taste – and smiled. What was she going to say? Last time she’d walked past the store she’d found those shoes repulsing.

 “Great”, she forced herself to say. It was amazing how much pain it cost her to add an unconvincing smile. Katherine’s face fell as she watched her daughter’s fake smile.

“You don’t like them at all do you?”, Katherine asked amused and Estella spotted a small smile on her mothers face.

Elena had not smiled very often since Estella was around, but it wasn’t just Estella’s fault; it was the fact that she had become a vampire and her emotions were heightened, mainly rage and anger, like she’d felt when attending Rebekah’s house warming. Estella might not have been Mother Nature’s sweetest creation but Elena had to admit, she was funny. She even broke down some of her thick walls whenever Elena was around and actually talked about her feelings. It was a side Elena had never expected to see in her, but enjoyed it. The girl had a good heart; it was simply wrapped up in an ice cold cover of steel.

“Not at all”, Estella said in one breath and caused Elena to laugh.

“In that case, I’ll take them”, Katherine smiled contently and put them on the counter to pay. Estella smiled at her mother’s stupidity and got up with a sigh. She joined her mother at the counter and leaned nonchalantly against the hard wood piece.

“Fine, but they’re on me”, Estella said and stared at the shop-assistant. Her pupils dilated as the woman’s eyes were fixed upon hers. “I get them for free, now put them in a bag and hand them over.”

The woman did as told and Estella took the bag, handing it to her mother. “There you go, all for you”, she smiled. Katherine nodded, seeming nervous at first but grateful soon after. The two girls left the shop arm in arm and continued enjoying their day out. Estella was happy, truly happy and wouldn’t ever let that feeling fade.