Chapter 14

She's not afraid

As a week passed, Estella grew more into the person she wanted to be. She was on friendly term with Caroline, who turned out to be the sweetest creature alive, Stefan the ripper turned out to be a sensitive guy that persuaded her to talk about her feelings more often so that her connection with her human side grew stronger and Elena had become a real sister to her.

“Jer?”, Estella called into the living room as she peeked through the door. She had already grabbed her leather jacket in the hallway and scanned the living room for Jeremy. He was sitting on the couch with his beloved game controller in his hands. His tongue slightly stuck out as he concentrated on the game, and his hair was messy from rubbing his head every time he lost a game.

“Yeah?”, he called back, not taking his eyes off the screen as he continued shooting zombies to the hereafter.

“When Elena gets home, tell her I’m at the grill”, Estella said, still holding onto the door frame. She did not get any response out of Jeremy and huffed. “Please?”, she added.

“Yeah sure, no problem”, he answered.

“Thanks”, Estella beamed and disappeared into the hallway again where she grabbed her newest pair of shoes. Elena’s influence on her was incredible, because on her feet were no longer her sky-high heels, but a pair of comfy chucks. Estella quickly put them on as she hopped around on one foot and fell against the front door. She flung her bag over her shoulder and opened the door before fleeing the house.

At a quick pace Estella walked down the streets on her comfortable flat shoes. Never had she known that she would be able to transport herself much faster without those deadly high heels. In amusement she even started skipping stones and spun a circle with her bag in her hand.

Stefan’s private counsels had really helped her overcome her biggest problem: accepting her humanity. Stefan’s tutoring sessions were not over yet, nor would they ever be. He was trying to show her that it was possible to be both human and vampire. She did not need to turn off her emotions when feeding anymore, though it was hard for to not do so. It was hard unlearning habits after 500 years.

Estella entered the grill and walked straight to the bar. The one thing Stefan did allow her to drink at any time was alcohol and boy was she relieved. Estella had only lived off of two things her entire life: blood and alcohol.

“Scotch”, she said as she leaned against the bar and put her index finger up at the bartender. The boy that had previously been too afraid to even look at her was now smiling at her and took the scotch bottle from the shelves.

“Drinking already?”, a familiar voice said. The barstool next to her was pulled back and Estella could already smell the scent of leather.

“Damon”, she said and nodded at him. Though not on good terms with him, she did accept him for Elena’s sake. Elena cared a lot about both Salvatore brothers and Estella cared a lot about Elena. Many times Elena had asked Estella to be civil towards Damon and so far Estella had accomplished; not because she had actually tried, but because it was the first time she encountered Damon again after her fight with Caroline. “Yes, must be a shocker to you”, she said and smiled gratefully at the bartender when he put her glass in front of her. Estella wasted no time and immediately brought the glass to her lips, letting the strong liquor fill her mouth. With one large sip she had already emptied half the glass. Damon looked impressed and frowned in a prizing manner.

“Not bad”, he said and pointed at Estella’s glass when the bartender was looking. The boy nodded and turned his back to Damon again. “So, I heard you apologized to Barbie.”

Estella knew exactly who he was talking about. She too had referred to Caroline as Barbie when she had first met her.

“Who told you?”

“Little birdie”, Damon smirked at her. As soon as his glass was placed on the bar he started twisting it around.

“Elena.”

“Of course Elena told me”, Damon said frowning as if it were the most obvious answer, which it was. Estella still needed to get used to Damon’s humor, and felt like she was halfway there already. “Who else?”

“You know… Elena”, Estella said emphasizing ‘Elena’ on purpose and paused a slight second. “… wants us to get along.” Estella pointed between her and Damon with her index finger as she raised her eyebrows. It was obvious that Elena wanted them to get along, but developing an actual normal relationship was anything but obvious. Two strong characters did not match…no.

“What is she talking about… getting along?”, Damon complained. “Like I could be friends with you; you tried to kill me.” The sarcasm was blatantly dripping from every word that escaped his lips and was reinforced by the small smirk he added at the end.

“But I didn’t”, she joked. She could’ve have, in fact she would’ve have, if Damon had not fled that night. “That’s a start right.”

Damon turned his head and looked at her. He huffed and took a sip of his glass while never taking his eyes off of her. Estella tilted her head slightly sideward as she kept her gaze focused upon his. Damon sighed contently as he put his glass down and got up from his stool.

“Well then…if Elena wants us to be ‘friendly’”, Damon sneered. “I guess I’ll se you tomorrow.”

Estella smiled coyly and nodded her head. Damon winked at her before turning his back to her and strutting to the door. He nonchalantly left the Grill and left Estella to stare after him, gloriously prancing in his shiny leather jacket. She shrugged happily and turned around, leaning her elbows on the bar as she downed her drink entirely.