Chapter Seventeen

I gasp, and start looking around at the pack, picking out with my eyes the members who have wolves. I know Mason wasn't guilty no matter how angry he had been. He has a wolf yes, but he still can't shift. He also can't go into the woods on his own without me, a wheelchair wouldn't make it. The people who would benefit most are the Alpha's family. The Alpha himself doesn't have a wolf, but the Luna and Connor do. I know several others in the pack who have wolves thanks to our midnight, full moon runs.
    Someone is noticeably missing, Jessa's father. I wonder if he knows yet. I wonder if he's with them collecting her body.
    I think of him. What kind of father was he? She says he forced her to do what she did. What if he did have a hold over her? Does he have a temper? How angry was he when his plans failed?
    I could hear people around me talking about rogues. Was that who did it? Rogue wolves did tend to stick together, because both humans and wolves are herd animals.
    The Alpha stops talking to people individually, and instead makes a statement.
    "It's true. It's been confirmed that Jessa Stanford was found dead in the woods not far from here. There was no scent of rogues in the area. Please stay safe, and go to your homes. Take shelter until we tell you otherwise. Don't go out into the woods. That's an order. Let us do our jobs"
    It wasn't rogues!
     "Come on," Mason says, "lets go to Dad's office."
    We skirt around the crowd and join Connor on his way to the office. When we get there, we wait outside the door for the Alpha to come use his thumb print to let us in.
    No one talks.
    Finally, the Alpha comes down the hall he has the high ranking guards with him. Probably to discuss what's happened and what will happen. He sees us and gives us a grim look, but doesn't say anything until we get in and shut the door. The Luna's not here. She's probably out soothing the pack and answering questions.
    "Mike," the Alpha says, "what smells were found in the area and on the body?"
    "Sir, her body had been sitting there for a couple hours, and the stench of decay covered any scent that may have been present. The trail she was on is a common one. Most of the pack has walked down it recently."
    "When they get her to the lab do a chemical screen of her body looking for scents that are undetectable by nose."
    "Right, sir."
    The Alpha logs into his computer, and Connor asks, "What are you looking up Dad?"
    "The official list of everyone's animal forms. I know it by heart, but I don't want to miss anyone. Alright, let's start with our family and work out from there. Connor where were you last night?"
    "I was with Monica last night," he says with a sidelong glance and blush at me.
    "All night?"
    "Yes."
    "We'll have to have her make a statement." The Alpha looks up from the computer. "I believe you son, but we need to keep this official. Mason where were you?"
    "I was with Chloe all night, at home. The hidden cameras around the house should prove that."
    "Good. Your mother was with me. The cameras hidden in our suite will prove that. Arnold, I sent a list of wolves to your tablet. Have your guards talk to all the other wolves in the pack. Do it now while everyone is at home and we know where they are. If anyone is missing from their home let me know right away. Sheila, look into our feeds and pull up that proof. Also, since it's a main trail there are camera's hidden along it, pull up all the video."
    "The whole trail, sir?"
    "Yes, let's be thorough."
    Maybe some good will come out of all those hidden cameras.