Chapter 2

"Not that one. The other one."
    "What do you mean the other one? You want me to marry someone who's not my mate?" I ask.
    "His twin brother." With identical twins both are compatible mates.
    "He has a twin?"
    "Mason found his mate two years ago," Victoria cut in,"but there was an attack. They were out running together and were attacked by rouges. She died, and Mason was paralyzed. Last year when Connor rejected you Alpha Jamal still had hope that he would heal. We now know that's not going to happen. It took us this long for Alpha to find you because my son never got the chance to learn your name."
    "You mean he never bothered. How did you find me?" I ask.
    "From the university records, and your ID picture on file." She answers. "My son Connor can be impetuous. We need you. There's a chance the power of the mating bond can heal Mason. He needs that chance."
    I feel a kernel of hope spark in my chest. I still have the chance to have a mate. Maybe I won't have to have that subpar life.
    "Let me pack somethings tonight," I say. "I'll go with you in the morning."
    "Your parents are packing your things, Chloe." The Alpha tells me. "It's better if you go now."
    "I won't get to say goodbye?" I ask.
    "You'll see them in a few days when they deliver your stuff."
    "Okay Alpha. Victoria, can I say goodbye to my Alpha in private please?" I ask her.
    "Sure, I'll wait in the car," she says and goes back to the parking lot.
    I wait for her to get out of ear shot. "Alpha, thank you for this life I've had. You're a good Alpha. You care about us. You protect us. You're giving me this chance at life with a mate. Thank you." I bow my head in thanks.
    "Chloe, you're welcome."
    There really isn't anything further to say, so I get up and with one last smile I turn and walk to the Luna's car.  It's a full sized sedan that pretty posh. 
    I look at the Luna's face through the windshield of the car as I walk towards it. I hope I can get along with her. We've gotten off to a bad start. Getting in the car, I buckle my seatbelt, but before I can apologize she turns to me.
    "I love my son. I would do anything to help him. He's in a bad place right now, and this is our only chance to heal him."
    "I wanted to apologize, Luna. I wouldn't have made a fuss if I knew what this was about." I say with a sheepish smile. I get the sense that we're on better terms. It's rare for a dominant to say they're sorry.
    "Ready to go. Our pack is in the next county over."
    "Can you tell me about them?"
    "It's a mixed pack. We have Lions, Tigers, and Panthers as well as European Wolves. Some that have more than one animal." Generally our animals are related to our area of heritage. People of European heritage turn into wolves, people of African heritage turn into Lions, people of Asian heritage turn into tigers, people of Latin heritage turn into panthers, and people of Native American heritage turn into bears. It continues on like that. Each race turning into an apex predator from their area of heritage. Of course if one kind of animal were to marry another the children of the mating would sometimes have both animals. It's a huge advantage. Because in this modern day most people are of mixed race somewhere in their ancestors it's common for a couple to occasionally have a child who's animal is something else. Most inclusive packs have many different animals. My old pack has Wolves, Tigers, and Lions. Leadership of the pack can be any different animal. My old alpha could turn into a Lion and Tiger. He was fierce and unconquerable.
    "What are Mason and Connor's animal?" I ask.
    "I'm a pure wolf, and my mate is a Panther and Lion. Mason and Connor can turn into all three." She says proudly.
"You're a purist?" I ask.
"Well my family is, but my father wanted an alliance with this pack because we're bigger and richer, so I was sent."