7. The One Where They Destroy A Cake

Hey there, dear friends! How are you all doing?

I think this one is my favorite chapter for this book. I love writing anything related to birthdays, and this one is simply... a mess! But a good mess. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Anyway, thanks for 800+ reads! That's pretty gosh darn effin' cool! You guys are awesome.

Let's get started, shall we? Courtney's POV and see ya!

-/-/-

Betty's Sweet 16th is on
June 19, 2021,
and you're invited!

Venue: Milton Hotel, Beverly Hills, CA
Attire: Semi-formal, pastel colors

We hope to see you there!

Purpose for booking: Hello! This is Betty writing. I met you guys at my dad's friend's wedding a week ago. You guys were the Taylor Swift and Joe Alwyn lookalikes, and you nailed it! I'd love you guys to be there, because maybe you guys have attended so many parties already and you could check if my party's doing great. It's a weird request, I know, but I just really want this party to do alright. I'm worried that something bad might happen, so... yeah! Just give me a text if you guys need anything. Thanks and stay safe! Betty xx

-/-/-

"Woah, a 16-year-old booked us."

"Why?" Tommy asks, looking over at Spencer's screen. "Is that even... allowed?"

"You tell me," Spencer replies, tilting his head to the side in confusion. "She's still a minor, so I don't know if we can comply to a request like this."

"Nothing in the company policy to stop us from that, but I did write in that we can't accept bookings from minors without consent from their parents or legal guardians," Tommy explains. "Can you reply to her with that? If she doesn't comply, then we'll be having a free weekend."

"Not so free," I say, grinning at them from the couch. "If we don't have an event, Buca on my Saturday for my birthday, okay?"

"You bet," Tommy assures me, with Spencer nodding enthusiastically. "Anyway, I should head home. Kevin and I are going out tonight because... well, no reason. How about you, Spencer?"

"My girlfriend's coming to LA tonight, I should go pick her up," Spencer answers.

"Oh, to be in a healthy, loving relationship," I jokingly remark with a sigh. "It might take me a while to have that, but who cares?"

"Yeah, you're already headed there after all," Tommy replies before they wave at me and leave for the day.

And I'm all alone again in the office, yawning with a finished cup of coffee in my hand. Even though everything was doing great for the business and at Smosh, I felt bad that everything around me was becoming a routine. Weekdays, it's work at Smosh. Weekends, it's partying with strangers. Sunday mornings are the only time I ever get peace, and sometimes, I don't even get to rest because some kid's having a birthday party somewhere.

I think about Shayne and how he's holding up with everything. He's always been a resilient one, and believe it or not, he's very Type A when it comes to so many things. Finishing college, The Goldbergs, Smosh... he has so much to do, yet he still agreed to do this silly little thing of ours for a bit of cash. He's a bit high-strung, but silly him. If he would have asked me for a bit of help, I would have done anything and everything.

Well... it looks like my crushing problem is getting worse by the day.

"You're still here?" Shayne asks as he peeps into the room's doorframe. "Everyone's gone home already. You working on something for CFH?"