TWENTY-ONE

"Hello, little bro."

The soft-spoken yet cold voice of his made me snap my eyes back at him. He took a step forward as he entered the compartment, the atmosphere drastically changing.

"Look who's earned himself into the one and only place I wanted him to be in. I didn't know that a simple recruit would work rather than sending multiple threats. It's been ten years and you're still smitten over her."

Six had just entered and the doors closed, the elevator lifting up.

I kept my hand tight around Y/N's, furrowing my eyebrows. "What did you come back for?"

"I've been spending my days of retirement in our dear old Italy, but it appears that KAIROS had planned to hide there. Such little fools of staining the country." He exhaled while flipping his bangs. With his long hair, he looked unrecognizable to me if it weren't for his eyes. "You've grown so much to become a fully-fledged operative. An assassin, I suppose. I'm relieved to know you've got a friend like Six. Such an entertaining little guy." His eyes looked over Y/N. "And a girl I've been trying to kill just to convince you into joining PHASe-"

"That's enough." I gazed at him sharply. He eyed me with a smirk.

"Why, she should better learn from me. I was formerly known as Operative One."

"According to my simple mind you currently don't have a position here in PHASe," Y/N surmised, causing me to look at her. She held her gaze at him as my brother stared at her with narrowed eyes. "You're retired, and that gives me a reason to beat your ass up for trying to kill me before and being an asshole of a brother to my boyfriend."

Boyfriend. I looked away. What is she saying. . .

"If the third floor isn't here yet, I would, and you're damn lucky." She sent him a glare, and then grabbed my arm for us to leave the compartment.

I looked at her in disbelief, and not long after I could hear Six's voice calling us to wait for him, but I didn't stop Y/N as I let her lead me elsewhere. Operatives were eyeing us as we passed by walking fast but I couldn't blame them, and with Y/N's face probably looking angered by now I could care less about what others would think of us. My heart nearly stopped when a certain face came heading towards our way.

"One," Dr. Park's slit eyes glared towards her, then to me, her eyes then avoiding me in disgust with her jaws clenching, "Four. What is the rush all about?"

"Nothing," Y/N snapped.

Dr. Park arched an eyebrow, before looking down at her beloved tablet like the scientist she was. "Nothing it is. Then refrain from doing such disturbing acts before I may report the two of you for misbehavior. You would not have been like this if Zero were here to teach you what it means to act with modesty. Carry on." She walked off.

Y/N watched her leave, and soon she went pulling me towards wherever she was leading me to.

"She's really one to talk about Zero like that." I let out a sigh of frustration, throwing myself down at the bench at the balcony. I crossed my arms over my chest and closed my eyes. I noticed he was still standing before me, eyes staring somewhere off the railings. "Hey. Don't think I'll let you slide, too. Come here."

Enzo glanced at me reluctantly, but I remained my eyes on him. After a moment, he brought himself down beside me, I could see his body feeling tense for he didn't lean his back on the bench as he avoided my gaze. My lids lowered after seeing him sigh.