Twenty-three

Bard had to keep them in the dark, now. Literally.

They all walked through alleyways and behind houses, taking a short route to get to Bard's house. Thorin and Anne were separated, the Elf in the back with Fili and Kili and Ori. Dwalin and Thorin were in the front, following Bard. They were in an alleyway behind a few shops when a kid came running down, turning a corner. He seemed around fourteen, with floppy chocolate hair and a furry brown jacket with a blue shirt underneath, brown pants and boots.

"Da!" he called, and Anne figured that he was Bard's son. "Our house, it's being watched."

Bard sighed in disappointment and looked around, trying to figure something out. Thorin slowly looked back and exchanged a look with Anne, who frowned and shrugged, quickly avoiding his gaze by asking Bard, "What do we do now?"

He sighed, waving her over. Anne obeyed and weaved through everyone, settling her cloak. Bard stepped back. "Bain, Anne. Anne, Bain."

"Hi."

"Hello."

"That was your big plan?" Dwalin asked with his arms crossed, an eyebrow raised. "Have the two meet? Good thinking."

Bard rolled his eyes. "Anne, you're around Bain's height. Bain, when we go to the house, put your arm around Anne's shoulders and pretend to be happy. Anne, keep your head low and do the same. Make sure your hair is covering your ears. Also, make sure that your cloak is concealing your weapons. I don't need anyone knowing that you are armed. The rest of you, there is a sewer line that leads to the toilet of my house. Jump in the water, no matter how gunk filled it may be, and follow that path."

Dori gagged. "Why would we do that?" he asked, disgusted.

"Because it's the only way you won't get caught, and I sure ain't going through what just transpired again," Anne said. "Thorin, a little help?"

He sighed. "Fine," he grumbled.

Bard explained where the sewer path was, and the Dwarves took off, Thorin leading them all. Bain put his arm around Anne, and she made sure her hair was covering her ears and she was looking down at the floor. The took a right and left the alleyway, then took another right as Bain led Anne to his house.

"So..." he started awkwardly. "You're Anne?"

"The one and only," she answered quietly. "Why?"

Bain shrugged honestly. "Just curious."

The conversation ended there, and Anne was grateful for that. Anne was vaguely aware of the man with an eye patch, and he tapped the house with his cane. Two kids came running out of the house, hitting a bell. Another man lit a match brightly for his pipe. Then there was a gritty bird call.

"Is a bird dying?" Anne asked.

(PETER JACKSON: THE SHITTY BIRD CALLER WITH A CARROT AND A PIPE)

Bain grimaced. "Spies," he muttered, walking faster.

Anne only blinked and cleared her throat, keeping up with Bain. Bard also heard and picked up the pace. They reached a house, going up the two flights of stairs and taking a right on the last flight. Anne came across an old house with worn out and rusty boards and a rusty blue door. Bain opened the door, and Anne stepped inside. Bard followed soon after.

"Well, that was a fun trip, wasn't it, Bard?" Anne mumbled.

At the mention of his name, two girls came out of their room area and grinned.

"Da?" the younger one asked, hugging her father tightly. "Where are you been?" She seemed about ten, with beautiful eyes and wavy light brown hair that was up, a few strands in her face, she wore a long sleeved brown dress with a short sleeved blue topping over it.