Seven

"Mutton yesterday, mutton today, and, blimey, if it don't look like mutton again tomorrow," complained a Troll from nearby with a powerful voice, William.

"Quit your griping," commanded another Troll with a just as powerful but deeper voice, Bert. "These ain't sheep. These is fresh nags."

Bilbo and Kayla snuck around the forest floor, trying not to be seen by the Trolls. The plan was that Bilbo was to set the ponies free while Kayla was the lookout, hiding in the bushes and warning Bilbo if anything came up.

"Oh!" complained another Troll with a high-pitched voice, Tom. "I don't like horse. I never have. Not enough fat on them."

Bilbo hid in the bushes, trying to figure out a way to free the ponies. Kayla tapped him on the shoulder and pointed to a rope that was tied up into knot attached to a little gate. Nodding, he proceeded that way.

"Well, it's better than leathery old farmer," said Bert. "All skin and bone he was. I'm still picking bits of him out of me teeth."

Suddenly, Tom sneezed right into the bowl. Kayla grimaced and wrinkled her nose. Eww.

"Well, that's lovely, that is. A floater," complimented the Bert.

"Might improve the flavor," added William.

"Ah," said Tom, clearly satisfied with his work. "There's more where that came from." He was about to sneeze up more stuff from his nose, but Bert grabbed his nose.

"Oh, no, you don't!"

"Ow!"

"Sit down!"

While the Tom whined and Bert kept a firm grip on his nose, Bilbo stealthy made his way to the ponies. He reached the ponies and tried to untie the knot, but it was too tight. He looked to Kayla for help.

It's too tight, he mouthed.

Kayla put a hand to her chin thoughtfully. Her face brightened up when she had an idea. Holding up her knife, she slid it to him. Bilbo grabbed it and tried again to cut through the rope, but it was no use.

It's too thick, he mouthed once more, sliding her danger back.

Kayla groaned quietly. All of a sudden, Tom turned around. Kayla waved her arms around frantically, signaling for Bilbo to hide. He did behind the gate, and he was lucky that Tom didn't see him.

"I hope you're gonna gut these nags," said Tom, examine the ponies. "I don't like the stinky parts. Ow!" Bert hit him with the spoon.

"I said sit down," said Bert, and Bilbo went back to the rope.

"I'm starving!" complained William. "Are we having horse tonight or what?"

"Shut your cakehole," said Bert. "You'll eat what I give you."

Kayla rolled her eyes. Trolls. Just then, her eyes landed on something. Tom pulled out his napkin from his waist revealing a giant dagger, its tip sharp enough to cut through the ropes...

"Bilbo!" she hissed quietly. "Look!"

Bilbo looked that way, eyes widening. Slowly, he crawled over there. The horses were whining a little bit, and Bilbo had to shush them. His fingers laced around a bone, and he lightly threw it down, making a little nose in disgust. Meanwhile, the Trolls argued.

"How come he's the cook?" questioned William. "Everything tastes the same. Everything taste like chicken."

"Except the chicken," Tom decided to point out.

"What taste like fish!"

"I'm just saying, a little appreciation would be nice," said Bert as he stirred the stew. Silence. He groaned. "'Thank you very much, Bert. Lovely stew, Bert.' How hard is that? Now, it just needs a sprinkle of squirrel dung."