Sixteen

THIRTEEN MONTHS LATER

"Anything?"

Bilbo loomed over the rock. "Nothing yet."

Anne huffed in annoyance and slumped back on the boulder she was leaning on. "Not that I want anything horrific to happen, but I'm so bored right now."

Bilbo nodded in agreement. Being the only two with keen eyes and (very small) patience, they were sent to scout. Rather Bilbo was, but Anne volunteered to go with him just in case something went wrong. Thorin naturally objected, and it took a solid fifteen minutes to convince him to let her go.

Thorin, he was always so protective of her. Why? Why was he always on her like that? Anne frowned at this and crossed her arms across her chest.

"Anne," Bilbo said after a few minutes, snapping his fingers and making her jump. "You zoned out... again."

Anne sighed. "Sorry."

She really was, too. Thirteen months could really change a person; ever since she accepted who she really was, she was more lively... in a way. She interacted more with the Dwarves—other than just Fili and Kili, who she always kept an eye on—and the Dwarves were starting to accept her as their own. But that didn't mean she didn't have her zone out moments. It usually happened at the worst times, or she would just blank out in general.

There was also her appearance, and Bilbo noticed that even now in the setting sunlight. Her once vibrant skin tone was becoming paler, but not too pale. Her blue eyes were beginning to dim, and blonde highlights started to show in her hair. Maybe it had to do with the fact that she was getting closer to her home, Bilbo thought, yet he knew there was another reason.

The sky was beginning to darken, a soft shade of pink and purple glowing in the clouds. The mountains were high and filled with snow, and the weather was cool. Anne felt a chill run through her spine and shivered.

Why am I feeling cold? Elves aren't supposed to get cold.

The soft crunch of paws on snow startled the Elf, and she shot Bilbo a look. Anne quickly climbed to Bilbo's side, growling quietly when she saw Azog atop his white Warg, his beady eyes scanning the area. The Hobbit and the Elf quickly ducked behind the large rock when Azog looked their way. Another growl caused Azog and his company to jump, then ride away. Bilbo and Anne glanced at each other before looking past the boulder they were hiding behind.

"Bear," was all Bilbo could say.

"Amazing," she muttered.

The beast didn't look like a bear at all. If anything, it looked like an overgrown Warg. It was huge, with thick brown fur and beady yellow eyes; his teeth were razor sharp, and Anne could've swore she saw the sunlight gleaming on its white teeth. The creature roared, and the two found this a great opportunity to flee.

"How close is the pack?" Thorin asked from the bottom.

"Too close," Anne answered when she made it down, standing next to him.

"A couple leagues, no more," Bilbo topped. "But that's not the worst of it."

"Have they picked up our scent?" questioned Dwalin.

"No, but they will, trust me," Anne answered. "But as Bilbo was saying—"

"We have another problem."

"Yeah, that."

"Did they see you?" Gandalf asked, quickly cutting Bilbo off by concluding, "They saw you."