Forty

once again: this is a w AR NOT A PHOTOSHOOT DAMN IT THORIN

Dain and Anne were fighting like maniacs... literally.

Anne didn't know how long the battle had been going on, but it wasn't going well, that much was for sure. The amount of dead bodies was through the roof, and it wasn't very reassuring to know that most of the dead was from her side.

"Dain, we're getting slaughtered," she wheezed, trying to suck in large gulps of air. "We need to do something."

"Aye," he agreed. "But what?"

Anne shrugged in obvious defeat. "Something," she said. "But for now, let's focus on killing these monsters."

Dain had no problem with that. He nodded and ran off, Anne following him. She ducked underneath a huge club of a Goblin, swiping his leg. It shrieked and fell on the floor, Anne stabbing its brain.

"Gross," she murmured when she pulled out the sword in disgust.

Anne continued to blow through enemy lines, using what ever she could. She saved some Dwarves and hauled others on their feet, dragging them back towards the mountain.

There's too many.

Anne's eyes wandered as she looked for Dain, gasping sharply when she saw him alone and surrounded by Orcs. She rushed over there, the Dwarf swinging his hammer around and decapitating a few heads along the way.

One problem: his back was open.

Anne lunged and pushed Dain out of the way just as an Orc thrust its spear, the Elf crying out when the blade came in contact with her left shoulder. She gritted her teeth and grunted, swiping her sword with her right arm and slitting the thing's throat. She ripped the spear out of her shoulder and hobbled back, pressing her hand up against her wound to try and pressurize it as she made a noise and went to her knees. Dain's eyes widened and he scurried over, jaw dropped.

"Thank me later," Anne grumbled, tearing off a portion of her undershirt with a wince and attempting to tie it around her shoulder, but she needed Dain's help in the end. He helped her to her feet, clutching her shoulder as she hissed and took big breaths to try and numb the pain.

"Fall back!" Dain hollered. "Fall back to the mountain! Fall back!"

In fact, back in the mountain, all the Dwarves were stuffed inside Erebor, most of them slumping around and kicking at the ground. Fili was absolutely livid, pacing back and forth before yelling in agony and punching the fortress they made.

"We! Should! Be! Out! There!" he yelled through gritted teeth each time he hit the wall.

Kili approached his brother. "Punching a wall won't do any good."

"Neither will talking to him," Fili grumbled, kicking the wall with his foot. "We can't just go up to him and say, 'Hey, Uncle, how are you? Do us a quick favor and stop being an idiot for two seconds and get us out there!'"

Kili shrugged. "That actually doesn't seem like a horrible idea," he mused.

"Shut up, Kili, I was being sarcastic," he grumbled as he marched away from the wall to go sit down on the steps.

Kili sighed as he sat next to him, swinging his arm around his brother's shoulder. "At least we're still together," he said, trying to lighten the mood. "Brother's 'till the very end."

Fili tried smiling at Kili. "Yeah," he whispered.

They sat in silence for two minutes until Kili nudged Fili. He frowned and looked up, narrowing his eyes and shooting up from his seat when he saw his uncle walk out from the shadows and maneuver himself around the rubble and stone, dressed casually with a sword in its sheathe.