Creep

"You heard about it, right?" Ron Weasley said, walking past me in the hallway.

We were 10 minutes late to class, and Ron had caught up to me, preferring to talk to someone than hurry to class alone.  Conveniently, we had the same class; Herbology. Slytherins and Gryffindors today, but I had no idea why Ron was late, nor did I bother to ask him. I silently wondered whether it was because he'd been eyeing up Lavender Greengrass on the way from breakfast. "There's a lot of things I'm sure I haven't heard about" I said, my books nestle snugly against my chest as we walked along.

"The tournament" he said. "I know you weren't there at the feast, but-"

"I heard about that" I said, politely. "The rumor mill is pretty busy these days. Is it true Harry Potter was raised by goblins, and that's why he's so rich?" I chuckled.

Ron snorted. "Wouldn't be surprised"

I raised my brows and hugged my books tighter. "So, what was with the tournament?"

 " Anyone over 17 can apply. Of course only if your birthday is early in the school year, before they pick out the contestants. Pretty much anyone who's turning 17 from September to the end of November. Harry can't do it, he's born in July. I'm born in March, but I heard you were-"

"November" I said, and I knew now why Ron had walked with me. I pursed my lips. "I can't put my name in the goblet anyways, I'm too busy"

" Too busy?" Ron snorted again. "Everyone's putting their name in. I even heard that Fred and George are"

I grinned. Fred and George were in the year above us, and had been talking about winning the Goblet of Fire and the generous amount of money that came with it ever since the Feast, which was almost a week ago.  "Of course. Why wouldn't they?"

" But hey" he shrugged. "We couldn't leave all the bragging rights to the Slytherins, can't we?"

I frowned. " Everyone knows who it's going to be. Cormac, Cedric or Cho. Or Angelina" 

"Didn't you know? There's two people from each school this year" Ron said. " I'm betting on Angelina and Cedric. She's the best in the Quidditch team, and Cedric's well.. Cedric."

"Not Cormac? I thought everyone wanted him in, with him being in Gryffindor and all"

"Cormac?" Ron snorted, but then averted his gaze. 

I quickly found another thing to talk about, seeing that Ron didn't seem to want to elaborate. "You don't have any hopes for Fred or George?"

He huffed. " Right, because they'd get chosen"

We entered the chilly herbology greenhouse, the students inside already started on practical work. Professor Sprout turned to us as we walked in and handed us two pairs of gloves. "I was wondering where you two were off to" she breathed in, placing her hands on her hips. "Well, if I expected you to be early on the first day, I think I'd be about as clueless as a mandrake. You'll have to team up with Mr. Weasley, Miss Black. And I won't deduct points on the first day, but this is your first and last warning"

I nodded, following Ron who was heading towards Harry Potter and Hermione, who had teamed up already. It seemed like I'd be doing the prac on my own then. 

"Hello Morrigan" Hermione said to me politely as I stood in front of our table, conveniently next to Harry and Hermione's. 

Harry didn't greet me, I noticed, but then again, he looked quite interested in the small prune looking plant in front of him. I should have refused, and gone to stand next to Draco's table.

"Hi" I said. "So, I didn't read the pre-class booklet"

Hermione sighed, and I noticed that there were already leaves and twigs stuck in her bushy hair. " Does anyone ever read the pre-notes? We're separating the flowers of the shrivelfig to the fruit. The flowers grow inside the shrivelfig, and have many medicinal properties for potions."