The chosen one?

Some people think Harry Potter was born to be the chosen one. Some people think he was born to be an asshole.

Who the hell makes fun of Harry Potter? He defied a killing curse, orphaned at a young age, living with supposed horrible adopted parents in some back alley in London. He defeated Voldemort, not once, not twice, but three times. More than I bothered to remember, anyway. Rumours say that he defeated You Know Who in first year, and then again in second. Why didn't You Know Who kill him? Surely, he was strong enough to do so, and a 15-year-old, barely passed puberty would have been an easy kill, especially by someone who at least knew a few jinxes. Easy, and yet, it didn't happen. The rumour that Harry Potter relied on drugs to deal with his relentless PTSD had less unanswerable questions. To me, it sounded like he'd drunken too much butterbeer and made up a wild story on the spot about how he defeated Voldemort and a giant man-eating snake in one sitting.

And boy, were the rumours interesting. Just escaping to the Ministry of Magic under Professor Umbridge's nose was a feat in itself, and people were obviously suspicious. And not just students, teachers too. At the end of last year, I'd heard some of them talking about Potter being expelled for his actions, or at least getting a few detentions from breaking into the Ministry of Magic. But no, Dumbledore cleaned the whole thing up like nothing happened, and now only rumours remained. But sometimes, rumours contained a pinch of truth.

His stupid scar and hair and glasses flashed in my mind, just a reminder of what my parents should have done years ago. His chattering, laughing group of friends, I'd seen them walk past and take one look into my carriage and hurry along, as they should.

Ron Weasley walked past the carriage, his second hand robes snagging on the door knob, forcing him to do a double-take and unsnag them. I'd heard he had failed transfiguration last year, and only passed because Hermione Granger had done all of his essays for him. And Neville, who I felt the slightest bit of pity for, at least where his family went. Luny Lovegood. Well, she wasn't so bad. At least she didn't pretend that saving the day was the only solution to every problem ever. 

 The train clicked along slowly; the countryside fluttering past me in my carriage, the hum of the engine and the rumble of the wheels slowly lulling me into a sense of serenity. I pulled out a book I'd snagged from the library at home, flicking through the pages, wanting, needing to look somewhere other than the rolling hills, listen to something other than the screaming and laughing voices of excited first years.

The voices on the carriages next to me stopped, and I looked up from my book to see Draco Malfoy and his group of hunks surrounding him like bodyguards.

You could say I hated Malfoy more than Harry Potter, and that would be an understatement. He was a whiny, self-entitled prick who couldn't even face a hint of danger without crying to his father. I have them a short smile, moving my bags to make room for them. Should have taken the carriage with Neville Longbottom. "Draco," I curtly nodded.

"Morrigan Black" he grinned and sat down opposite, crossing his legs. "Still sitting all alone?"

Crab, Goyle and Pansy Parkinson filled the rest of the carriage, making it more stuffy than it needed to be. I placed the book back on my lap, wishing they'd leave soon. Hoping they'd eventually leave, maybe stop annoying me and annoy someone else. 

I almost rolled my eyes, remembering that I was in a carriage with four people who could get me in a lot of trouble. " Is your father going here about that or something?"

Crabbe snickered, and Draco snarled, silencing him. " At least I've only got one."

I almost saw red, but bit in my protest, my hidden anger. I knew that Draco wasn't exactly the most accepting type, and the fact that I had two fathers left him with a lot of ammo in the bullying department. I also knew that Draco only used those backhanded little quips about my family to get me fired up, let me make a mistake and then embarrass myself in front of the popular Slytherins. Funny, it's what I'd been trying to do to him.