sneaky sneaky

It was midnight when I got out of bed and creeped down the stairs of the girls' dorm with a book to read in front of the fire. I'd been sitting in bed, awake for hours and told myself that if I couldn't get to sleep by midnight, I might as well do something productive, like do some Configuration readings next to the fire.

I was only in one of those metalhead t-shirts, that vampire band that came from Transylvania, who I'd had a crush on ever since I was about 12. I didn't wear any slippers, since I thought I'd be next to the fire anyway, and some silk pants that had been rolled up at the ankles. A cute fit, I supposed, and if anyone were in the common room, they wouldn't even bat an eye.

But once I got to the bottom of the stairs with a mug and a book, I almost dropped them.

"Draco?"

I hadn't seem him often in the past couple of weeks, but I supposed he'd been ditching classes to research the Dumbledore situation like I had, or had figured there was no use in classes anyways. Maybe a bit of both. 

But the strange thing was- he was dressed normally, in his robes. As if he'd stayed in them all day and hadn't bothered to get changed for bed. And his face- "What are you doing up, this late?"

He looked absolutely furious, and anxious, pacing the tiled floor. As if he'd misplaced something, or maybe gone crazy within the last couple of weeks. He finally met my gaze, biting the inside of his chin. "You wouldn't happen to know where something I've hidden was?"

"What?" 

I raised the corner of my lip, as if I was disgusted, and slowly walked over to the bench at the East wall of the common room where there was always a kettle and a sink. Perfect for making hot cups of tea anytime a student wished. There was even a constantly replenishing box of assorted teabags, and I picked licorice peppermint. 

I heard his steps fall shirt just behind me. "I know you know where it is"

I started the kettle and turned to him and leaned against the table, crossing my arms. "Where what is"

"My- "

"Your... what"

" I know you took it, from Fred and George"

My eyes widened, mouth made an O shape before he could realize. " Huh. From Fred and George? And why is this thing so important?"

He stepped up to me, glaring down at my face. " You tell me why"

"Hm. Something to vanquish the great Headmaster with, I presume?"

He shook his head. "Tell me where it is"

I sighed, turning back to the kettle which was whistling quite loudly for midnight on a weekday, and poured the hot water into my tea, then set it down with a thump. "Draco, you must be mistaken. Even if I did know where this thing is, which I don't, why would I tell you?"

He almost seethed. " Because if I don't kill him, you're dead"

I paused, then picked up my mug of tea and walked over to one of the warm couches perpendicular to the fire. I sat down, keeping my cup in hand. If I had to suddenly use a weapon against him, hot water would be the perfect thing. But I calmed my breathing, thinking. Thinking hard enough that I knew I'd have a headache in the morning. "So you want to make a deal?"

"What?"

I rolled my eyes. "You want to make a deal. I give you this... thing. Free of charge, no payment, and you kill the Headmaster with it."

"It's not a deal, it's common sense" he frowned, plopping himself down on a sofa directly opposite me, leaned on his knees and became so close he could have reached out and slapped me in the face. "You get a chance a living, I get a chance at living. Easy"