First

The champion tent was buzzing with activity- or rather- anxiety. I spotted Aurelie Dumont pacing back and forward beside the nurse's corner- saw Victor Krum triddling his thumbs on one of the complementry seats. Cedric gave Harry Potter a quick work

I stood with my back to one of the canvas walls, wrapping a warm coat around my body- protecting my arms against the chilly winter morning. I'd worn my Quidditch uniform, green and black, with leather straps and boots. After all, I could just where anything from my closet. Anything that could get completely destroyed by a dragon, that is.

The other champions wore similar outfits, Harry Potter wearing his own Quidditch uniform, Aurelie Dumont wearing what I assumed was the French equivalent, and Victor Krum wearing his own, professional Quidditch uniform for the Bulgarian National Quidditch Team, with a few minor alterations to change out the colors and flag to Favour the team of Durmstrang. I don't think poor ____ was given the same privilege, wearing his normal fur coat, like the rest of the Durmstrang students.

Shouts and calls were heard a distance away- beyond the canvas tent and into where I assumed the three schools had gathered to witness the champions succeed, or fail.

For the first time ever, Cedric looked - nervous. Twiddling his thumbs just like Krum, biting the inside of his cheek. His blonde hair had been slicked back - I assumed so that it didn't get in his way- just in case a dragon burned it off.

I cursed Sirius's family - had they not had a first name starting with the second letter of the alphabet, I would not have had to be the first person to go into the triwizard tournament.

" Hey! Morri!" A voice came from behind the canvas, and at the familiar tone, I frowned.

" What do you want, Draco"

I could only see his shadow behind that tent, and I supposed everyone else was too caught up in their own anxieties to notice me mumbling to someone.

Malfoy's voice was faded by the cheers of the crowd warming up for the show. " Well, if your going to phrase it like that, I see no point in giving you any help-"

" Help?" I said, a little too loudly, then whispering. " What help could you possibly give me?"

I could almost hear him rolling his eyes, half ambling at the amusement of having more I formation than I did. "I could tell you how the trial is set out if you'd like. There's rocks and-"

" Stop-" I murmured. " I'm- Ill be fine. My question is - how on earth did you get to the tent without being spotted?"

" I believe it's called 'misdirection'. The Weasley twins are taking the spotlight- all the proffesors seem intent enough on preventing them from blowing up the place with firecrackers."

" -and I believe it's called cheating"

He sighed. " You aren't seriously concerned with cheating now, I bet half of the champions are cheating"

Knowing it was true, I took a quick glance towards Fleur Delacour, who was quietly talking to a determined looking Madame Maxime. After all, according to Potter, the rest of the champions knew what the first trial was well before Cedric and I. " Even if they are, knowing Slytherins reputation, we'd be the ones caught."

"So what?" He scoffed. " it's not like you want to do this tournament anyway"

I took a few seconds too long to answer, tapping my foot in frustration. " You know, having you here really isn't helping the nerves."

" Good. You should be nervous"

The flaps to the tent flew open, a cold wind blowing through, the rest of the Headmasters and Crouch walking forward.

"Gather around, gather around champions!" He waved his arms in a guesture of what he probably intended as welcoming. "Finally, you will each show your strength and perseverance today!"

"I've got to go." I murmured, biting my lip. "Save a seat for me."

He seemed to huff before I heard faint footsteps trudging off into the crowd.

Across the tent, I saw that none other than Hermione Granger had broken in, given Harry Potter a tight squeeze before the game. The thought of Draco Malfoy doing the same to me made me almost gag in disgust.

A flash of a camera made me blink, Rita Skeeter materialising from the tent flaps with her old camera and quick notes pen shortly behind her, complete with a piece of parchment.

"Oh! Two love birds share a kiss before the first trial."

No matter the rivalry between the three schools, she seemed to garner the unanimous hatred amongst all of us. Even Krum stood in front of an embarrassed Hermione and Harry to stand up for them. " This is none of your business. Leave."

Her eyes seemed to pop out of her head as she beheld Victor Krum in all his quidditch gear and rough Balkan accent. "Oh, well, I just wish you all luck for the trial... uh."

Even the Headmasters of the three schools looked received, as if they didn't want to anger Rita Skeeter, thus instigating a nasty column about how the schools should be defunded or how Dumbledore was getting too old for the job.

Crouch waved his arms again, and the champions gathered around him, our thin lips and pale faces evidence of sleepless nights and anxious thoughts. We all knew that dragons were a part of this - we had no idea how, though.

Crouch carried with him a small squirming bag that he regarded with a careful eye, but excitement lit up inside of him, as if he was truly excited for the students to walk straight into a dragons den. " This trial is like no other - you must face your fears to retrieve an object of gold that lies atop a hill of stone. Now now, let's get to it - let's start on my left. Delacour, take your pick."

He opened the bag wide, and Fleurs nimble fingers picked out a small green dragon, and she looked up to Madame Maxine in regret.

The circle went around until I plunged my hand in to pick out the last dragon, and felt it's long tail slither around my finger before coming out the bag. "Antipodean Opaleye!" Crouch exclaimed, as if he were surprised.

The little thing was an illuminescent white, it's scales rainbow against the waiting winter light in the tent. I would