Playtime

After lunch, I brought the pups to my favorite place. Kit didn't know of it yet, since I was an idiot and you couldn't visit it in the winter. Their eyes rounded once we reached the waterfall. "It's cold," I warned, then grinned and jumped into the pool of water. It was a little colder than I liked, but they needed fun. And this was a safe place, peaceful.

It took a few minutes of cajoling to get one of them to join me, but the middle boy decided he would. Albeit he didn't jump in like I did. No, he approached the edge like it might bite him then stared into the depths of the pool with fear. "You can stand at all points within this pool. So, while you may not know how to swim, you won't drown. If you don't like it, I won't be angry. I only ask that you try if you're up for it," I soothed and his shoulders relaxed. It was clear these pups weren't used to choices. I intended to change that.

The boy slipped into the water after grabbing my hand and holding on for dear life. The water at the deepest point came to my shoulders, but it would reach his chin. Still, he could stand and be okay. "You're so brave," I praised while I led him around the pool and he tried not to cry. My heart ached for the pups, but I hoped I could ease their pain. He shuddered once, then released my hand to move about on his own. "Would you like help floating?" The boy's eyes widened but he nodded after a second with fear shadowing his light blue eyes. I explained everything I would do, and he nodded once he was ready. We moved slow, but a soft laugh of surprise escaped his lips once he floated in the water. "That's it," I murmured when he relaxed. His eyes closed and the slightest hint of a smile curled his lips.

The other three glanced at each other, then us with longing in their eyes and I chuckled. "I have enough time and patience for all of you," I promised and they relaxed with smiles. If I were a cruel alpha, I could turn them on each other with ease. It sickened me to see what several people did to these pups, how raw and vulnerable they left them for the world. I knew of many wolves who wouldn't hesitate to take advantage and swore I'd protect the pups until they could stand on their own. But I would never break them up. They were a family, leaning on each other for support and love. A little guidance and they would be the strongest foursome, willing to stand against anything so long as they had each other.

Hattie was last in this exercise, wanting to ensure her brothers had a turn. She was the most giving of them, but I understood how she felt. They were the most important people in her life and she'd give anything to see them happy. That was how I felt about my pack, and my mate. The trick would be balancing both if I ever had the chance to woo my mate again. The queen was clever, distracting me with lost souls since I couldn't turn them away. I prayed Kit was distracted as well, without time to wallow in misery.

By the time we returned to the fortress, the pups were chattering with big smiles. They only spoke of the waterfall and how amazing it was to float, comparing how it felt, but it was progress. It pleased me to witness them behaving like pups. Jax greeted us at the door, his eyes on the oldest boy who gulped. "You're a big boy," he chuckled. "How would you like to help me hunt for dinner? Only thing is, we have to bring along a tracker because I'm told I suck at it. We'll have the best tracker though. Smug little shit. One problem, though." He spoke without giving the boy a chance to respond, and the pup's eyes widened with panic. However, he slumped when Tuck stepped from behind his father with a shy smile.

"We'll find the biggest animal we can," Tuck promised and I swear the older pup melted.

"See, the problem is, Tuck can't shift. So, since this will be a hunt you lead, you need to carry Tuck. He can hold on well, and he won't lead you astray," Jax finished with a nonchalant shrug while Tuck beamed. Kit did wonders for the boy and Jax, rebuilding the bond between them until it was so strong it left me awed. The oldest pup hit his knees and fought tears. Tuck threw his arms around the boy's neck and hugged him, then kissed his cheek.