A Tale of Woe

Once upon a time, a group of young alphas grew up together. They were the best of friends, and ready to conquer the world. That it was already conquered was irrelevant. They would conquer it again, and remake it in their image. The eldest wanted fame. The second coveted fortune. The third desired land. The fourth dreamed of the fights to come. But the fifth hoped for peace.

As they aged, they laughed about their dreams although they promised their youngest friend the peace he desired. Since he was the youngest alpha pup, the others saw him as their youngest brother and protected him. He was from the weakest pack, albeit his friends ensured he was strong enough to take on the world with them.

Life was great, until they were teenagers. Once they were old enough to withstand the mantle of alpha, someone murdered their parents. As the children of the five strongest packs, they understood something nefarious plotted against them. However, they weren't yet old enough to have gained the secrets of their families. Thus, they didn't know who to suspect.

Still, even though they were young, each alpha rose to the occasion and led their pack to greatness. Due to their age when they stepped up, the rest of the world was awed by their strength and leadership. They received fame, fortune, and fought for enough land to sustain their packs. When peace was within their grasp, when they reestablished themselves as the five strongest packs, the youngest alpha fell and his pack was lost with him.

The second oldest was supposed to provide him aid in an attack, but when his youngest friend needed him most, he couldn't be found. So, the other alphas blamed him, accused him of helping kill their beloved friend and brother. When he tried to prove his innocence, they refused to listen and banished him and his pack. To add insult to injury, they referred to his pack as the fourth strongest, since they were no longer five. And, when rumors of an impending attack on his pack surfaced... they looked the other way.

Brokenhearted that his friends believed he was a monster, that they wished he were dead, he granted them their desire. His young son watched their enemy slaughter his father while he defended his pack. He wondered why the other packs never helped as he cried over his father's body. His mother, unable to survive without her mate, died of a broken heart seconds after his father fell.

So, at only nine, a pup took on the mantle of alpha. His father's pack could have challenged him, but they were heartbroken after their alpha offered his life in exchange for theirs. Thus, they followed his son who grew more bitter with every passing day.

He plotted. He seethed. He loathed.

By the time he was a teenager he despised the other three packs. They with their peace, fortune, land, and fame who spurned him. He vowed to make them pay. He thirsted for revenge. And when he saw her, he knew he found the perfect way to punish those who abandoned his father. But he needed to be stronger. So, he waited.

Revenge wasn't something to be rushed. No, it required precise timing. And when the opportunity arose years later to steal his revenge, well he took advantage. That he stole the youngest daughter of the strongest alpha the night before she was to be wed was merely icing on the cake.