Chapter 14 - Betrayal

"I'm free." Adam whispered. "I'm free!"

He jumped up from his chair and it toppled backwards, breaking into pieces. I stiffled a laugh at the blank stare Rosa gave the chair before gliding it up to Adam.

"That is not the way you pay a witch, boy." she snapped.

I could tell she was amused though.

"I'll make you a custom one, guaranteed to last you at least fourty years." Ashur said.

She nodded. "That'll do for payment."

Adam sputtered and dug his hand into his pocket to retrieve his wallet. He took out a couple hundred dollar bills like it was nothing and set it down on the purple table when Rosa shook her head at him.

"Please, take it." he insisted. "You can buy some more...magic wands or something."

She quirked an eyebrow but left the money where is was in silent acception. "I still expect you to make me that chair." she said to Ashur.

"Of course."

"Now, if I may have a silent word with my Katie, you boys may wait outside. I don't want you eavsdropping with those sensitive ears of yours."

The little bell that warned of customers coming and going rang throughout the shop when Adam and Ashur left me to speak with Rosa. As much as I loved her I felt she was going to tell me something that I didn't want to hear and my body tensed for her to break the bad news. All she did though was shove a big blue pill into my hand.

"What's this for?" I asked, eyeing the enormous pill skeptically.

She winked at me. "You'll need it. Take it now. I know how forgetful us creatures of the night can be when it come to taking precautionary measures. We get all caught up in the love we forget what love can create."

I gave her a quizzical look and she sighed at me.

"Children." she replied flatly. "Love makes children. You're extremely fertile, but you're not ready yet to become a mother. Too young. You need to get out and party like I did when I was a youngster. Get drunk. Have random sex. Well, maybe not to that extent. But get drunk, that's always fun. You can't get drunk with a baby." she said poking my stomach.

"How long does this thing last for?" I asked.

"It'll protect you for a couple months."

"Maybe I should take it later." I suggested. "Me and Ashur haven't had sex yet."

"No! Take it now!" she urged.

Then she cleared her throat as if she had spoken too forwardly, but of course Rosa never really cared about that. She went into her back room and brought out a water bottle then handed it to me. I unscrewed the cap and popped the pill into my mouth before taking a swig of the water. The pill painfully slid down my throat and I had to gulp down some more water before it got stuck.

"Jesus, why does it have to be so huge!?" I exclaimed.

She shrugged. "It works."

I gave Rosa one last hug before heading out into the parking lot. Ashur and Adam we leaning against the truck, waiting for me. They seemed to be talking a little bit but after five years and considering what happened between them I couldn't blame them for being a little awkward.

Adam straightened up of the truck and came towards me with his hands shoved deep into his pockets. His step had a slightly skip to it as if he was carrying the world and the weight was just lifted off his shoulders. He took my hand and brought it to his lips, giving it a small kiss.

"I owe you everything." he whispered. "I'll pay you back one day I swear."

I smiled at him and noticed Ashur staring at us with jealousy so I gently slid my hand out of Adam's.

"You can pay me back by finding your mate and setting things right. Tell her what really happened that night and if she doesn't believe you tell her to call me."

"What if she moved on?" his voice shook with fear.

"Then let her be happy. But tell her anyways so she doesn't dwell on the past so much, so that her heart can heal instead of her thinking she was betrayed by you."

He nodded and leaned his head back, looking up into the night sky for a moment. Then with a goodbye to both of us he walked away to start his new life. Ashur and I drove home in silence since we both had quite and eventful night. Ashur saw his best friend and his mate again after five long years. I got a job, lied to Ashur about it and almost fought his ex-mate.

"Are you going to tell me where you were tonight, or do I have to pry it out of you?" he asked when we pulled onto the familiar gravel road.

I sighed. I knew this was coming I was just hoping we could get rid of the angry she-wolf chained to a chair in our living room before I told him.

"I got a job today." I muttered.

He slammed on the brakes and I had to brace myself against the door to keep from flying forward into the dashboard. I quickly buckled my seatbelt incase he developed a sudden case of road rage.

"You what?!" he yelled.

I cringed. He never yelled at me before. I know I've only known him for a couple of weeks but we already had a bond and most werewolves mate within the first day. I felt like I knew every part of him and I didn't want him to get mad at me for anything.

"I really want to help out with money Ashur, please let me do this. It's only part-time for now until I finish high school. I want to save up some money so I can go to college and my dad certainly can't pay for that and neither can you."

He looked away from me, out the window when I said this.

"Ashur, there's nothing wrong with that!" I exclaimed. "You don't need to give me everything. All I want is you!"

He didn't reply but pressed on the gas again and continued driving until we reach the house. I continually tried to talk to him my attempts were futile and he got out of the truck before I was even able to unbuckle my seatelt.

"Ashur!" I called across the lawn.

"Go get the key for the padlock from my workshop. I need to release her." he grumbled before stalking into the house.

I let out a frustrated sigh and stomped all the way over to the workshop out in the back of the house. I looked around for a key for nearly ten minutes before I spotted a key rack with a bunch of keys on it. I snatched them all up with one hand and made my way through the snow and back into the house. I gasped when I saw Wanda, out of her chains, pressed up against Ashur.

Kissing him.