Chapter Ten - Encounter (Captain)

The gathering was Runn's idea. We would all bring a meal and alcohol, then sat around eating and spending time with each other. He'd also invited King and one of King's friends. It was his final night in the apartment before he had to move out. I offered for him to stay with me but King gave him a better offer.

Of course, we couldn't tell anyone. 

Runn had sworn us to secrecy.

With a spike in temperature, I accepted a ride over from Nine and arrived to enter the building behind a man with long hair and dark eyes. He walked with a motorcycle under one arm, a bag in the other and a face that I wanted to wake up beside. When I realized we were going to the same place, I waited for him to knock before stepped to his side.

"Sawatdee-khrap, P." I greeted him.

"'watdee." He replied.

"You can call me Captain."

"Tao." He replied. "Are you friends with Runn?"

"Khrap." I replied. "What about you? Who are you friends with?"

"King," he said.

Runn opened the door and greeted us. When we entered the space, there was something in the air. Though I wasn't sure what it was, I delved into an evening with friends. King was aloof, mysterious. It was almost as if he was afraid to show that he was having fun.

But as the night went on, I noticed something in the way he looked at Runn. It was as if he used every chance he could get to touch Runn, to brush their shoulders against each other, to ruffle his hair, to wipe something from the corner of Runn's mouth.

I blinked but didn't say anything to anyone about it.

We wandered through the early evening and after a while, I needed a break. Sneaking out to the balcony, I lifted my face to the night air and closed my eyes. I wasn't sure how long I'd been standing there, my mind working a million miles a minute, thinking of all kinds of things I probably shouldn't be.

I thought back to the conversation I had with my friends at the track about liking boys and girls. For the millionth time I didn't see why we needed to label it.

You meet a person.

You get to know them.

You fall in love with them.

I didn't understand the hang up on skin colour, what's between the legs, gender.

I sighed.

"Everything alright?"

The sound of the voice caused me to snap around, tripped over myself and fell forward. Tao caught me and eased me back to my feet. I gripped the rail, my cheeks heating.

"Thanks, P." I said, turning my back to him.

"You do know the party is that way?"

I looked over my shoulder to see him thumbing over his own. 

I laughed shyly. "I know. I was just thinking."

He settled in one of the chairs and lifted his eyes to the darkening sky before looking back at me. "Anything I can help with?"

I watched him silently for a moment then walked to sit beside him. "No. Nothing really important. Why are you sad?"

He chuckled. "What makes you think I'm sad?"

"Your eyes." I replied before I could stop myself.

My mother always told me that I was too impulsive. That good little Thai boys knew how to remain quiet, to hide their emotions and be a closed book. But I wasn't interested in being a good, little boy, especially when speaking up could help someone.