Chapter Two - Reasons - (Runn)

"Calm down, Mae."

The worry in her eyes bothered me. After my father left us, my mother was forced to earn a living. Using her degree, the only received a job offer she received was in Dubai. I moved with her, finished high school but it was cheaper for me to attend university back in Thailand.

I wasn't used to being away from her and I didn't like it. "It's only part-time. I don't like you working so hard. I know it's because of me."

"You're my son." Mae told me.

"Yes. And I'm not a child anymore. This money will help me pay for the little things."

"Little things?" Mae asked. "Like what?"

"Well, food, clothing, if I want to go out..."

She sighed. "It won't take away from your studies, will it?"

"It shouldn't."

"I mean, you have the photography thing you're doing." Mae pointed out. "Now add a part-time job and it can get to be a lot."

"I won't let things fall through the cracks, okay? I promise." I paused for a moment then smiled. "Especially if the work I do is photography. I have the camera and the software. I just have to put together my portfolio."

She smiled at me but nodded. "If you need any help, let me know, okay?"

I promised I would.

"How are you otherwise?" Mae asked. "Are you meeting new friends?"

"I'm okay. I'm meeting new people. They are pretty cool so far." I told her then went on to explain what happened with the photographer club and how I had to work with a partner. "His name is Chakrii but they call him King."

"Chakrii?" My mother asked, leaning toward the screen. "Chanthara?"

"Khrap. Do you know him?"

Mae was worried. I could tell. But instead of saying anything, she shrugged. "Be careful with him." She told me.

"Why?"

"Look, my friends have children in that school. We hear things about his father." She replied. "Try to be careful. I know you must work with him because this is for school. But..."

"I'll be careful, Mae," I said. "But he's not dangerous. I've heard rumors but sometimes people exaggerate. They can't even keep their gossip straight. I don't want to be one of those people—but I get it, Mae. I'll watch my back."

We talked for a while longer, before I had to go. She smiled at me, blew me kisses as she usually did. But even after she was gone, I wondered what she meant about King's father. I'd huer murmurs that he was dangerous—that King is the apple that didn't fall far from the tree. But I hadn't really been paying that much attention.

Even if King's father was dangerous, King had nothing to do with any of that—I didn't think. He was the child and unless he did something to tell me otherwise, I'd go on treating him as his own person.

It was only fair.

I plugged my phone in to charge and headed into the shower. It was still early but I liked getting to the campus before the craziness of the day.

By the time I was ready to go, the sky had opened up for rain to ravage the city.

I hated thunderstorms.

It wasn't because I was scared of them. Well, when I was smaller, I was terrified of the sound thunder made. Now, thunderstorms got me in the mood. My cheeks flushed and I was happy I was sitting alone in my car and not around people—like Nine and Captain.