Chapter Eight - Upper (Runn)

King had tattoos.

I had noticed them before, but I had forced myself to ignore them. From what I could see and focus on at the moment, he had three. The heartbeat on one collarbone must have been painful. There wasn't much flesh there.

I wasn't sure what the one at his hip was for the towel had covered much of it. But there was black rose over his heart with a series of numbers woven within its petals. My curiosity was peaked. Someone didn't get ink like that without meaning behind it.

But aside from the curiosity, the ink did something else to me. My body burned for him in an almost paranormal way that frightened me.

They weren't supposed to make me as hot as they did. I was never that kind of man. But seeing the way they sat on King's skin, left me panting, unable to think straight.

We'd had dinner, and I barely managed to get out of the room without saying something stupid.

I rolled over again to face the wall but no matter what position I was in, sleep wouldn't come. King's partially nude body was a movie inside my head. I had seem his muscular framed covered in cool, clear water. I knew how strong his was from carrying me on his back. I'd felt those muscles flexed under my palm, felt the hardness of his chest and inhaled the muscular scent of him.

I couldn't shut any of it off.

Finally, I climbed out of bed, stopped long enough to unplug my phone then wandered through the house until I found him. With the moonlight streaming through the glass panes, I could see him asleep, on his back, an arm folded up and under his neck. He was shirtless and all I wanted to do was climb under the sheets and cuddle into his body.

I wanted to feel him, to smell him, to know what he tasted like. I wanted to feel his hot breath on my body, those beautiful eyes roaming me before he kissed me until I had no choice but to melt for him.

Did it make me a pervert?

Not if he was mine—but he wasn't mine.

"Are you going to stand there staring all night?" His voice was husky, sleepy, sexy.

Gasping, I jerked backward and crashed into the wall across the hall. The force tool the breath out of me as I slipped to the floor.

"Runn?" He called before rushing to the door to look at me. "Are you okay?"

I nodded.

He hunched down by my side to help me up. "Why are you always so shy?"

"I'm not shy, P." I couldn't meet his eyes.

I wasn't even sure why I'd searched for him in the house. My intention was to go out for a walk, for fresh air, try tiring myself out so I could get some sleep. His touch burned me forcing me to step out of his grasp.

"Couldn't sleep?"

I shook my head. "I wanted to go for a walk but wound up here."

"I think you should sleep with me."

My cheeks flushed and I glanced toward where he'd been sleeping. I wrapped my arms around myself. He laughed and my temper flared. 

"It's not funny, P!"

"You don't have to be scared or shy, Runn. We'll just sleep." He took my hand and led me toward the makeshift bed. "I'll never do anything to you that you don't want me to."

He sat and reached up for me and I had no choice but to accept. 

My brain, body and heart all conspired and push me to him. King made me feel things—it's in the way he looked at me with a slow simmer like he is the volcano to erupt and destroy me.