Chapter Eighteen - This Side (Runn)

Pushing King away, I glared at him.

"Is now the best time to kiss me?" I demanded.

"Seeing that side of you turns me on." King admitted.

My cheeks flushed but I was pissed.

Finally, King sighed, walked over to the bedside table to plug his cell in to charge then sat on the edge of the bed. When he looked up at me, there was something other than arousal in his eyes. He left the room and when he returned, it was with a bottle of juice for me and water for him.

I accepted what he offered then sat beside him, clasping the cold bottle between my palms.

"Tell me what happened." King's voice was soft.

"I don't want you fighting with your father." I told him.

"Runn."

Exhaling I arched my back to stretch it before I explained. "Your father wanted to know what my relationship with you is. He saw I was driving your car—apparently, you would never let some undesirable, drive your vehicle because it means so much to you. I told him we were working together on a school project, that we were friends. He didn't like that answer."

King said nothing.

"He demanded that I leave, that I never contact you again. I tried walking away but he grabbed me." I cleared my throat. "I told him not to do that again, so he hit me—I'm sorry if you're angry at me doing what I did. But I was standing up for myself and—"

"I'm not angry." King assured me. "Not at you. I'd never blame you for standing up for yourself--ever. My father needs to know that he can't bully everyone. I should be saying sorry."

"Why? You didn't do anything."

"I should have been here to protect you." King told me. "I knew my father was up to something—I knew, and I didn't come back fast enough to be here when he arrived. Maybe we should stay at a hotel until after the festival."

"No." I shook my head. "Your mother invited you home. You're doing this for her, not him."

"And what about you?" King demanded. "You're not happy here."

"I'm fine." I wrung the cap from the juice and drank some. "I'm fine."

"Runn..."

"King. I said I'm fine." I growled. "Your father is just a bully—I'm used to bullies."

"This is more serious than bullying, Runn." King turned to curl a leg under him. "He's dangerous. I don't want you being around him alone—do you understand?"

"You're scaring me."

"P, Kho tod."

King scooted forward to draw me into his arms. He rested a hand against the back of my head, while the other slipped around my midsection to hold me to his body.

"I would really feel better if we went to a hotel." King repeated. "Mae can stay with us, if you want."

He sat back.

"I think something is wrong." King stood and reached for my hand. "Let's go for a walk. There's something I want to talk to you about."

We both gathered our cameras and left the house down the back of the house and a winding staircase. He didn't speak again until we'd wandered a good distance from the house. The breeze coming off the ocean was a bit of a dry heat, but it felt good on my skin.

"Mae hasn't been the best mother." King told me. "I think I've told you that. But there were a few times when I've needed her, and she didn't let me down. I always wondered why she hasn't left my father. Sometimes I think I hate her for staying."