Chapter 8: Auction

Today's the big day. Day of the auction. Chrollo luckily respected your request of staying backstage, so now you were assigned watch duty at the back doors.

As you hear your own footsteps hitting the hard food floor, you open the doors to behind the stage where you will be situated at for the rest of the night. Scattered mumbling and chatters can be heard from the other side of the curtains where mafia bosses and rich businessmen gather to watch the auction.

"Hey Y/N, we got scared you weren't gonna show," Shizuku greeted you.

"Oh hey, sorry. Got caught up getting ready." That was a lie. You didn't need to get ready for this mission, only Feitan and Franklin were the ones who needed to prepare for their appearances. Speaking of Feitan...

Two more pairs of feet tap on the hardwood floor like yours did just a few moments ago. Lifting your head up, you're greeted by Feitan and Franklin in their formal attire. You couldn't help to blush a bit at the sight, and Feitan caught on.

The two greeted you with a nice smile. "Nervous?" asked Feitan. Being too flustered by his looks, a nod was all you could respond with. He opened his mouth again about to say something, but Franklin quickly nudged his shoulder, giving the signal that it was go time. Everyone makes their way to their designated positions and awaits for the bloodbath to begin.

You became thankful that Chrollo gave you backstage watch out duty. Barely anyone even bothered to bat an eye in your direction since no one takes interest in what's happening backstage. You begin to hear some noises coming from the speakers. Must be Feitan talking. I wonder what Chrollo had to do to convince him to get into the suit? You laugh at that thought, momentarily forgetting what you were here for. Your attention was quickly ripped away from those thoughts as the sounds of a machine gun and screaming started to crowd the auditorium. Even from here, you can hear the screams loud and clear.

A wave of fear rushed through your body. Why am I so cold all of a sudden? A ringing sound started to creep it's way into your mind, one that was way too loud to drown out. Your breathing began to quicken and body began to shake. Oh god. Is this a panic attack? Right now? A sudden wave of dizziness attached your system. I need to sit down. Finding a dark spot in between the boxes full of stage equipment, you conjure yourself a blanket and sit down with your knees help close to your chest, trying to focus on something else than that tightening feeling in your chest.

After who knows how long, your breathing finally returned back to normal and you started to feel a little sleepy. A hand on your shoulder made you jump a little, only to relax again at the sight of Feitan looking right at you. He must think I'm so pathetic right now. I can't even stay backstage properly. You tried to muster out some words, but tears started to flow down your cheeks before a sentence even got out. As you bury your head deeper into the confined space of your chest and knees, ruffling sounds are heard from he man in front of you. You look up to find him now situated at your side, sitting down beside you. He doesn't say anything, simply just looks at your teary eyed face. The longer he stares, the more he feels his heart break at how scared you are. By now, your eyelids feel like weights urging you to take a nap after the panic attack and crying.

As your eyes start to slowly close on their own, your head involuntarily falls on Feitan's shoulder, causing him to flinch a little. You begin to drift off using his shoulder as a pillow, the last thing you recall is the calming sound of Feitan's soft humming that you surprisingly find comfort in.