✧5- Monotone✧

Chapter 5 - Monotone

—————

"Two teams...," a grey-haired man had stated. He wore a purple bandana, dark glasses, and also bore a familiar presence Endou couldn't place.

"Two teams from each nation will be able to participate in the IFSC. Me-----Kun will explain further." The man took a seat on the bench that faced the Raimon soccer field.

'Raimon?....That name...'

A brown-haired boy stood up and pushed up his glasses, Endou realized that he also was sitting on the grass alongside many other nameless individuals. They were right next to them but their faces were all blurry, he couldn't make out any direct facial features.

'What is this? Where am-'

"Firstly, there's the district competition. We'll go against everyone in our area and after that, assuming we succeed, we'll only then be able to compete with 4 other teams from Japan, on a national level. Out of those 4, 2 will then be chosen to represent Japan in the IFSC, where they will compete internationally against the true best in the world. Any questions?"

The group was in awe for a second.

"So can anyone participate? Even teams that don't officially belong to a school?" A boy with goggles called out, his index and thumb cupping his chin. Another pang of familiarity went through Endou. His heart started to burn with a sense of...sadness?

The boy with the glasses nodded.

"There are specific rules of age, player limit, and more, but I've checked, and nothing stops us from competing!"

Bright grins lit up the room, excitement was clear on their still blurry faces.

"Another World competition! But this time anyone can participate!"

"So exciting!"

"We're gonna fight with all we got!"

"Right, Endou?"

Many expectant eyes turned towards the spectator. He was caught off guard, not expecting to be suddenly brought into the conversation.

"Eh?", was all he could get out in his visible confusion.

"Endou? What's wrong? You don't seem pretty excited?" The goggled boy called out. There was only one other time Endou acted in such a manner, and that was when he was conflicted with Aliea Academy. It was a scary time and still gave him shivers.

A few gasps were let out. Endou not being excited about this was a sin!

"Ah! Of course, I am! We're going to become the best in the world! I just got caught up thinking about all the rivals we're gonna play with!" Endou couldn't control what he was saying all of a sudden. His facial expression naturally turned into a giant grin with starry eyes, which felt odd on his face.

He could visibly see the relaxation of the people around him. All of them except one eyeful strategist. Something just wasn't right.

-----------

2 months later - National Finals

-----------

The stadium was absolutely silent. It wasn't that there was no audience. In fact, yes there was. An audience of incredible numbers. However, all of them were in shock at how easily the match was won.