Chapters 32 - 35

Chapter 32

“She’s waking up, sir.”

“Good. You may leave us.”

Jordan’s body throbbed, every inch of her being ached from the inside out. As consciousness made itself available so did the burning sensation across her limbs. Jordan didn’t have to look down to know her body was scorched in a dozen different places. Her nerves screamed where the shock batons had made contact with her skin.

       “Are you sure, sir?”

Director Patterson’s voice was clear. “Yes, she’s beaten and chained. I think I can handle her myself.”

“Yes, sir.” There was the familiar noise as someone opened a door and walked away closing it behind them.

Jordan opened her eyes squinting in the room’s bright light. More pain stabbed at her. Jordan tried to lift a hand to block the light. Her hand traveled only a few inches from her side before it was jerked back. Jordan forced herself to focus. Her vision cleared as she took in her surroundings. She was sitting in a steel chair with her arms and legs bound by handcuffs. The room was small; to her right side a long glass mirror, across from her a table, and a chair with Director Patterson sitting arms crossed.

“I never wanted this for you, Miss Shepherd.”

His genuine tone caught her off guard. Jordan licked her lips, tasting blood. Brown hair strewn across her face she responded, “Really? You sound like you actually believe what you’re saying. What happened to everyone? What have you done with the others?” The Director took a deep breath. He removed his glasses and polished them with his white lab coat. “Your comrades are in a similar state as yourself. They will share in your same fate.” The Director replaced his glasses and leaned forward. “Why did you throw it all away…the promotion, the title, the benefits, why?”

There was no hesitation as Jordan tested the strength of her bonds. Steel cut into her skin.  “Because it was all a lie. What this city was founded on. What this city will become in the future.” 

The Director grimaced. “You have so much faith, while knowing so little of our past. How do you know what this city was founded on?”

“I know Robert Greyson was on to you. I know you use the excuse of missed work quotas to throw innocent people out of your city when they are close to finding the truth.  I know you are making decisions while telling half-truths to the people of this city; an army, weapons, a journey beyond the Wall.  It’s all against the law, you hypocrite.”

The Director pursed his lips and shook his head. “I take no joy in telling you that you are correct, Miss Shepherd. Believe me when I express to you that it is all necessary.  If you only knew the scope of the game we are in, if you only knew what is at stake…”

       “Then tell me!  Tell me the truth!”

The Director frowned. Silence filled the small room.  Jordan bit back another outburst. There was something in the Director’s expression that told her shouting again would only drive the man away, something in the way he looked at her said he did in fact want to tell her the truth.

The Director slowly began to nod. “Okay, Miss Shepherd. You want to know the truth? All right, one moment.” He stood from his chair and exited the room.

Chapter 33

The Director closed the door behind him. He searched the outside room. Ensuring no prying eyes were watching the conversation on the other side of the two-way glass window.